The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Aussies with some South African/NZ reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Mostly Aussies with some South African/NZ reds

by Salil » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm

2004 Rolf Binder Halliwell Shiraz/Grenache (Barossa Valley)
The nose suggests a fruit bomb with big but simple aromas of plum, blueberry and vanilla. More sweet dark fruits follow on the palate, but this is a bit more restrained than I'd expected with medium body, good acidity and a silky texture. Pleasant wine to sip on its own and with pizza, but nothing particularly distinctive or memorable.

2007 Steve Bird Big Barrel Pinot Noir Old Schoolhouse Vyd (Marlborough, NZ)
Miracle discovery here - this is a ~$20 Pinot that tastes fantastic and is under screwcap! :D Clear ruby red colour with a lovely nose showing sweet red fruited flavours, earth and hints of cinnamon and clove. Silky and medium bodied on the palate with bright acidity giving it lift and flavours of strawberry, black cherry and spices. Finishes elegant and clean, and I was surprised to find the label indicating 14.5% alcohol (as it feels far lighter without any sense of heat).

2006 Torzi Matthews "Schist Rock" Shiraz (Eden Valley)
This is what happens when Garagiste REALLY nails it. Bought a couple of bottles of this from them over a year ago in one of Jon Rimmerman's "Deal of the Year!" emails where he raved and raved about this wine and his descriptors sounded like something I'd love to drink. When I finally got my hands on it last year, I cracked one and immediately went 'wow!', drank through my other bottles in no time and started hunting for more. This has fabulous spicy aromatics that can be smelled from a couple of feet away - initially this is all white pepper and cinnamon with some smoky notes. With time the spicy character becomes a little restrained and pure red and dark fruits, tar and floral elements emerge on the nose and palate. Silky in texture with bright acidity, plenty of complexity and depth and a clean medium-long finish. The best bottle of this I've had so far, really delicious and I'm glad there's still some more left.

2006 Nederburg Cabernet Sauvignon-Shiraz (Western Cape)
Clear dark red in colour with a nose that brings a Cornas to mind with aromas of meat, leather, funky earthy notes and dark fruits with faintly herbaceous elements underneath. Medium bodied on the palate with high acidity, silky tannins and dark fruits, dusty earth, leather and tobacco leaf flavours. Finishes a little short, but at the price no complaints.

2003 McWilliams Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon (Hunter Valley)
Mmm, Aussie Semillon. :) This has a great nose combining youthful fruit with the beginnings of developed/aged flavours, showing citrus fruits, lemongrass, herbs, flowers, lanolin and faintly toasty notes. The palate shows similar flavours with a medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel and bright acidity underneath. Finishes clean with medium length. Lovely wine with lots of depth and complexity and a reminder that I really need to drink more Semillon.

2005 Seppelt Mount Ida Heathcote Shiraz (Heathcote)
Decanted three hours before serving and shows a fabulous nose of plums, blackberries, violets, earth, smoke and leather. In the mouth this combines power with precision and elegance, showing rich red and dark fruit flavours over savoury meaty and smoky notes with chewy tannins and lifting acidity. Seamless and elegant with great length. Outstanding.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Mostly Aussies with some South African/NZ reds

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm

Great post and a good read. Think the Semillon will last awhile eh?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:43 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great post and a good read. Think the Semillon will last awhile eh?

Thanks Bob. Good Hunter Valley Semillon from my experience can last quite some time - Tyrrell's Vat 1 and the Mount Pleasant Lovedale and Elizabeth Semillons tend to be the best agers historically. That 03 Elizabeth certainly seems to have a long time ahead of it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 am

Happy New Year Salil.

You are making me jealous with your Semillon notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:04 am

Sounds like the standard Binder/Barossa red. I actually sought out the tasting room when travelling there, and managed to introduce myself to Rolf just as he was leaving the winery--I knew him from his participation on WLDG, so it was established that I was a visitor from far away who would write tasting notes. Well, the wines were atrocious--oxidized, every one. When I commented on that to the fellow who was pouring, he explained (like I couldn't tell) that the wines had been open since the day before and suggested I come back the next day when they would open a fresh bottle! I don't think so!

The Nederburg cheapie has me thinking about the paucity of South African tasting notes here. There is some great great stuff coming out of that country that way outperforms it's price point for complexity and ageability compared to, say, California wines, and yet the wines don't seem to be taken seriously (thankfully, my friends in Canada are better informed) by American wine drinkers. Only Peter May seems to drink them regularly, and even he is not disposed to posting TNs because so few people drink the wines, no one comments.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov