The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Spitzer Singerriedel Riesling, Franz Hirtzberger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 2007 Spitzer Singerriedel Riesling, Franz Hirtzberger

by Anders Källberg » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Hirtzberger's Singerriedel Riesling is one of the famous Riesling wines that I yet had to taste, so when I found that it could be ordered at our monopoly stores, I did not hesitate. Tonight we had it to a dinner of wild arctic char and a creamy wine sauce with chives, a splendid combination.

Singerriedel, front and back.jpg

The wine has a rather deep yellow colour. The nose, a wonderfully deep Riesling fruit, concentrated, with notes of roses, herbs and mineral. In the mouth the wine positively explodes with a deep and intense Riesling fruit. Spicy, almost peppery. A racy acidity and a minerality that increases towards the end. A long and intense aftertaste with just a slight bitterness from the alcohol. Although I would have expected its 14% ABV to be too much for a Riesling wine, the deep fruit of this wine manages to balance the intensity and bitterness of the alcohol. Possibly the alcohol will become a bit overpowering with time when the fruit subsides, but right now it is a remarkably good wine, clearly explaining the fame of the Singerriedel. The style reminds me of the premier cru Rieslings of Bürklin-Wolf, for which I have also at times had doubts about the development of the alcohol with time. Some of them have developed well, but other have been defeated by the power and bitterness if the alcohol.
Cheers,
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Spitzer Singerriedel Riesling, Franz Hirzberger

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:42 am

Sounds like fun and interesting comparison to Bürklin-Wolf. I don't think I've had any high level wines from them.

Also, for the sake of the search engine you might want to edit the title to include the t in Hirtzberger.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: 2007 Spitzer Singerriedel Riesling, Franz Hirtzberger

by Anders Källberg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:19 am

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds like fun and interesting comparison to Bürklin-Wolf. I don't think I've had any high level wines from them.

I'd recommend you to look for them, they are very fine wines. Actually, to be correct, they should rather be called Grosses Gewächs, not premier cru. The ones they make are Pechstein, Ungeheuer, Gaisböhl, Kalkofen, Hohemorgen, Jesuitengarten,... Have I forgotten any?
Also, for the sake of the search engine you might want to edit the title to include the t in Hirtzberger.

Thanks, Rahsaan, good point, I'll do that.

Happy New Year,
Anders