The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hogue Pinot Grigio 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Hogue Pinot Grigio 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 pm

Columbia Valley.

Dark yellow in the glass.

Spicy, old cheese on the nose.

Oily and viscous in the mouth, peppery, rich Granny Smith apple, peach, pear, lime, orange, with some lemon rind, spices (clove, cinnamon), crisp acidity, honeyed, rather intense.

A very long mouthwatering, apple finish.

A very enjoyable wine.

Screwcap closure.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Hogue Pinot Grigio 2007

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:56 pm

Hogue is one of the wineries that introduced me to wine appreciation. I'm glad they are still turning out good juice.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Columbia Valley. Dark yellow in the glass. Spicy, old cheese on the nose. Oily and viscous in the mouth, peppery, rich Granny Smith apple, peach, pear, lime, orange, with some lemon rind, spices (clove, cinnamon), crisp acidity, honeyed, rather intense. A very long mouthwatering, apple finish. A very enjoyable wine.
Screwcap closure.

Bruce, how much is this in Canada? I suspect I can find it here for $7-8 and from your description it sounds like a no brainer for an everyday white.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:Columbia Valley. Dark yellow in the glass. Spicy, old cheese on the nose. Oily and viscous in the mouth, peppery, rich Granny Smith apple, peach, pear, lime, orange, with some lemon rind, spices (clove, cinnamon), crisp acidity, honeyed, rather intense. A very long mouthwatering, apple finish. A very enjoyable wine.
Screwcap closure.

Bruce, how much is this in Canada? I suspect I can find it here for $7-8 and from your description it sounds like a no brainer for an everyday white.

Can't help you out there Bob. I paid $28 for it from a restaurant wine list. I tried to buy it later and was told at my LCBO that it had been delisted in Ontario. :x
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Dottie and John have recommended this wine twice in 2008 intheir WSJ columns,,,most recently in a column on inexpensive wines..
The most prominent notes to me were the apple flavors, certainly a ton of fruit....I tasted the wine last Summer after reading the WSJ column on American PG's..What I did not taste/sense was any crisp acidity
I liked the wine, my only complaint wd be that it didn't say Pinot Grigio to me..The Barefoot and Ferrari Carano PG's that they also recommended tasted more like PG to me, ie, the crisp acidity was quite noticeable..

just my 2 cents
Jon