The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Joseph Drouhin Morgon 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: Joseph Drouhin Morgon 2005

by Bob Hower » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:37 pm

$15; 13% abv. I bought this wine a couple of years ago. I was quite enamored with with Gamay wines (I still am) and especially Cru Beajolais, Morgon being one of my very favorites. Like many smaller markets, it is hard here in Louisville to find anything other than Duboeuf, so when I saw this at Liquor Barn I jumped at it just because it was from an alternative producer. Though conventional wisdom says that Bojo should be drunk young, I believe that the better wines can stand a few years or sometimes much more of aging. I didn't expect that much from this bottle, but it was a disappointment by any standards. Dull, lifeless, uninspiring, lacking in fruit, acidic, but not in a good way, slightly bitter. I've had thin acidic Bojo before that still had virtues and qualities I could defend. Beaujolais should be fun. This wine is not.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Joseph Drouhin Morgon 2005

by Saina » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:12 am

Bob,

I opened this thinking that finally someone else appreciates Drouhin's Beaujolais also! But I guess they are doomed to solitary enjoyment for me. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. FWIW, I just got to try their MaV '04 which I thought better than ever before (and I drunk lots of it young), so they do sometimes age gracefully.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am

Otto,
It wasn't that it had a strong personality that I just didn't care for, it was more that it had little personality... no soul, no spunk. But I am continually amazed at how different people like and dislike different wines, and I also know that circumstance, mood, bio-rhythms, and so forth, play a huge role in how I perceive wine, though normally that is more a matter of degree than a complete turn-around
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 am

One other thought on this. There was some staining on the cork - about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way out, but it seemed to have a good seal and I didn't think this wine was oxidized. It is possible that its deadness could be attributable to a cork failure of some sort.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:27 pm

Bob Hower wrote:It is possible that its deadness could be attributable to a cork failure of some sort.

I don't know Drouhin's Morgon but offhand I would indeed expect more flavor for such a wine than what your note indicated.