The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New and old

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: New and old

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm

2004 Chateau Bellevue la Forêt, Côtes du Frontonnais:
Smells like a somewhat funky Rhône syrah mixed with red grapes, raspberries and dark cherries; tastes similar with a chalky/stony note, grip, medium weight, some complexity and intensity; medium length, slightly sour finish. This is made from the négrette grape (possibly blended with cabernet sauvignon, syrah and/or gamay) from an AOC in the SW of France south of Cahors. I like this for its nuance, openness, composure, lack of any wood smells or flavors and affinity for food. 12.5% alcohol, about $11, and imported by Wine Traditions of Falls Church, VA. Not for aging IMO, so I look forward to the incoming 2005 vintage.

2005 Pieropan, Soave Calvarino:
The smell of desert sandstone on a cold morning, the inside of freshly peeled pineapple skin, cream soda, pine needles, something vaguely floral – the nose is fascinating and a joy to behold; strongly flavored but of whole cloth in the mouth, flavors that tend toward the elements of the nose but don’t repeat them, concentration without weight or cloying viscosity, focused with a compact sense to its overall delivery but still discrete, complex and bright on the palate, real depth; surging length that seem to reprise itself again and again. Obviously, has a shelf life. All garganega based wines should be measured against this one. At its $24 retail price, as good a QPR wine as this planet produces.

2007 Edmunds St. John, Bone Jolly Gamay Witters Vineyard:
Fresh cherry and stone scents, expansive; bright, full fruit flavors with fine mineral and spice accents, lovely balance, silky texture and a full flavored, medium length finish. Life affirming, lively and so worth every penny of its $16 retail price.

2005 Alesia, Syrah Fairview Ranch:
Smells of baked dark fruit and creosote, some earth and herb tones; rich and full bodied in the mouth with brooding syrah fruit flavors, some tar and Baker’s chocolate, quite concentrated and fairly long. I have found a creosote element in other syrahs but not to this degree – not a bad thing, but very unusual. 14.25% alcohol which was not noticeable. I suspect this has a long life ahead of it and may, at some point, veer in the direction of an aged Cornas.

1995 della Palazzola, Rubino:
If I recall correctly, 80% cabernet sauvignon and 20% merlot from Umbria; I am no fan of the wines of Roberto Cotarella but this is unusual – right now, its too young, too closed and too tannic. Given another decade or more in bottle, I suspect this will be the rival of any of the very best Super-Tuscans. The aromatics are all about cabernet, including its herbaceous side, but there is also a stony, baked-earth component; a worsted texture in the mouth as the grip rules but also complex, fresh, and full of fruit – the question is, will the fruit live as long as the tannin; decant length but drying. What is not evident until one has a glass or two is the depth and dimension of this wine – it is vigorous, faceted and seems to deliver itself in layers, each more intriguing then the last. In what was a hard and tannic year, this wine seems to have more going for it than many of the other wines of its vintage. We shall see. $30, on release.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: New and old

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the notes Jim & happy new year to you and your family.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

2004 Chateau Bellevue la Forêt, Côtes du Frontonnais

Used to drink quite a bit of this in the "old days." Haven't seen it around Ontario much recently.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Fresh cherry and stone scents, expansive; bright, full fruit flavors with fine mineral and spice accents, lovely balance, silky texture and a full flavored, medium length finish. Life affirming, lively and so worth every penny of its $16 retail price.

I demand that this wine be shipped to Indiana immediately!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 am

Sam Platt wrote:

And to Oklahoma!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Sam Platt wrote:

Sam; 21st Amendment ordered some of it.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Sam; 21st Amendment ordered some of it.

Thanks Steve. I asked them about it the other day and they seemed quite puzzled. However, I wasn't talking to their regular wine guy. I will be looking forward to the arrival of the '07 Bone Jolly.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:

Sam; 21st Amendment ordered some of it.

Steve-
Was this a recent order? They have had the 2006 in stock and it was selling briskly, so perhaps they did re-order.
Sam-That is a chain operation and many times the guys in the field have no knowledge of what is being ordered. Drove us crazy in the old days, but that is the way it is.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!