The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Waipara Springs Premo Pinot Noir, Waipara, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 2005 Waipara Springs Premo Pinot Noir, Waipara, NZ

by Anders Källberg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:19 pm

The new vintage of the reserve wine from Waipara Springs, located near Canterbury on the east coast of New Zealand. I liked the 2004 very much, so I gathered the 2005 should be a fine match to the reindeer with porcini risotto and green aspargaus we just had for New Year's Eve dinner.

2005 Waipara Springs Premo 500.jpg

It has a medium deep red colour. The smell is at first restrained with somewhat funky and meaty aromas, possible a consequence of the screw cap. Soon, however, these aromas are replaced by a fine fruity Pinosity with a good depth. Even further on, with the wine raising in temperature, toasted oak notes become just slightly too evident. On the palate there is a great Pinot fruitiness, a refreshing acidity and good intensity. The tannins are marvelously integrated and smoothly structured, even to the point that I wish for the wine to have a bit more grip in the mouth. Still, in the aftertaste the tannins grow a bit and give some of the mouthfeel I'm asking for. A long, rather toasted and intense aftertaste gives lots of pleasure. A lovely and charming wine, true to its origin and worthy of the occation. I'd guess it will improve with some years of cellaring, but is very charming now. 13.5% abv, 289 SEK, around 27 EUR.

I wish all my friends here at the WLDG a most happy 2009!
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: WTN: 2005 Waipara Springs Premo Pinot Noir, Waipara, NZ

by JuliaB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:50 am

Anders,
Thank you, and I'd like to return the wish for a happy new year to you! This PN sounds quite interesting, and while I've never given much thought to which wine might pair best with reindeer, now I know.

All the best to you and yours in 2009!

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Anders,
I tasted this in October 2007 at a trade tasting. This was my note from back then.

"Waipara Springs Premo Pinot Noir 2005 (sc) A lovely savoury wine with richness of smoke and spices and delicious red guava, black cherry and tamarillo fruit. There's an earthy, savoury undercurrent and a hint of chocolate on the bright, spicy finish. Medium to full-bodied in style with a silky structure. Drinking very well now. 13.4% alc. $40. 9Oct2007."

Cheers,
Sue

PS Happy New Year
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:"Waipara Springs Premo Pinot Noir 2005 (sc) A lovely savoury wine with richness of smoke and spices and delicious red guava, black cherry and tamarillo fruit. There's an earthy, savoury undercurrent and a hint of chocolate on the bright, spicy finish. Medium to full-bodied in style with a silky structure. Drinking very well now. 13.4% alc. $40. 9Oct2007."

Thanks, Sue.
Well, I don't know the taste of red guava and almost not the taste of tamarillo, but except for that, our impressions seems to agree pretty well. I have a couple of bottles stored in my cellar, so I'll come back with a follow-up in a year or so.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:... I don't know the taste of red guava and almost not the taste of tamarillo, but except for that, our impressions seems to agree pretty well.

Red guava and tamarillo are tart red fruits. We used to call the tamarillo a 'tree tomato'. When I was young, we'd cut them in halve and sprinkle sugar on top of them to eat them. I love these fruit flavours in Pinot Noir and often find them in Martinborough region wines and to a lesser degree, in Waipara wines.

Cheers,
Sue