The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux 2006

by Hoke » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:35 pm

This is one of those occasions where I had permission to commit vinous pedophilia, when a friend brought it over to a holiday dinner.

I knew it was too young in its development cycle to be fully formed, and might even be going through a difficult stage (although doubtful this young), but since it was guest-given and intended to be consumed, heh heh heh, let's see what this little babe is like...

As I suspected, not fully formed and adolescent Chablis. Or to be more correct, perhaps, adolescent Fevre Chablis. There is the inherent focus and steeliness/flintiness Fevre tends to go for in style, but it's not as powerful and focused as it promises it will be. It's in a more transitional phase right now, with lemony acids, distinct minerality, and lean fruit, but a bit muddied up and...soupy, I think is the right word.

Now the foregoing might lead you to believe this wine wasn't tasting good. You should not take that conclusion, for it tasted very good, and was quite the hit in fact. It's just that everone agreed that, while delicious, it had some maturation and development to go through, and we all thought it would be a more wonderful, more complete, and infinitely more intriguing wine within a few years, and more of what folks look for in good Chablis.

Considering the relatively modest price, this should be a wine for mid-term aging---say 5--10 years---that would pay off handsomely on the investment.

And if you invited me to come and help you appreciate it at that time, barring senility or physical incapacity, I would be happy to accept, for this will be a handsome wine then.