The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Four

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 am

2004 Domaine de la Mordorée Lirac La Dame Rousse
I bought this for my wife because she usually likes warm Southern wines but I was a bit disappointed in the gritty acid/tannin component that sliced through the moderate fruit and made it seem a bit off kilter. I know this is not a blockbuster cuvee and it is not a blockbuster year. So should I assume this is on the downslope or will it in fact age into something better?

2006 La Spinetta Moscato d’Asti Bricco Quaglia
This may be goofy stuff but I thought the succulent fruit and somewhat refreshing finish were good fun and perfect for the casual Pakistani meal.

2002 Gimonnet Champagne Fleuron
Solid and ‚correct’ but a bit unispiring. Would have rather drunk more of the Moscato to tell you the truth.

2007 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Kabinett
I found this dissapointingly broad, simple, and soft. Not heavy at all, but still soft. I see others have loved this wine and perhaps we didn’t give it enough time for the character to emerge. Admittedly I have not been a huge fan of this wine in previous vintages, but usually because I found the combination of sour crispness and a broad frame to be offputting. But at least I remembered it having more character than this bottle.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Re: WTN: Four

by Nathan Smyth » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Rahsaan wrote:goofy stuff

Would that more vintners around the world might turn their attention to the mass production of goofy $10 moscato & $12 prosecco.

The more moscato & prosecco I drink, the more I wonder why I ever spent in excess of $10 or $12 on a bottle of wine.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:46 pm

I've struggled (and failed) to find a bad moscato d'asti, but that one form Spinetta stands out as being a small fraction better than the norm - definitely one that I'll buy again.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Never been totally sold on Gimmonet, though they have lots of fans.

My experience of the Donnhoff is quite different, I thought the '07 was crisp and precise (to use the buzzword of the day), not heavy or soft in any way.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I like Gimmonet but not in the cultish way that Terry Theise would expect (or want). :wink:

The 2007 Leistenberg Kabinett is the first edition of the wine I have purchased since 2001 (when I purchased everything). It's rich for a kabinett, but with 5-7 years it should be very convincing if it doesn't fall victim to Leistenberg disease (a complete loss of character with no development).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I've struggled (and failed) to find a bad moscato d'asti, but that one form Spinetta stands out as being a small fraction better than the norm -

Which is interesting because the rest of their lineup is kind of spoofy modern, no?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I like Gimmonet but not in the cultish way that Terry Theise would expect (or want). :wink:

Over on Disorder people have chimed in with comments about Gimonnet greatly expanding production and losing the quality in the process.

The 2007 Leistenberg Kabinett is the first edition of the wine I have purchased since 2001 (when I purchased everything). It's rich for a kabinett, but with 5-7 years it should be very convincing if it doesn't fall victim to Leistenberg disease (a complete loss of character with no development).

This confirms my suspicions, in many ways.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Gimmonet has not so much expanded production (they have some but not a huge amount) as expanded the separate cuvees. They make a bunch of different wines now, and it really has stripped some of them.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:I've struggled (and failed) to find a bad moscato d'asti, but that one form Spinetta stands out as being a small fraction better than the norm -

Which is interesting because the rest of their lineup is kind of spoofy modern, no?

Perhaps - but (and please don't tell Otto :wink: ) the reds are really quite enjoyable, albeit a little more expensive than the enjoyment I get from them.

For their Moscato, there is (IMO) a fraction more complexity and textural creaminess, whilst retaining the joyful Moscato d'Asti nature.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:09 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Gimmonet has not so much expanded production (they have some but not a huge amount) as expanded the separate cuvees. They make a bunch of different wines now, and it really has stripped some of them.

Ok, makes sense. Upon reflection I see that the specific Disorderly comment cited high yields at Gimonnet and was made by Dressner so who knows where it came from.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 am

Wait till Dressner sees Andrew Jefford's comments on the 1996 Larmandier-Bernier Vertus ("a failed experiment"). The anti-anti-dosage train is picking up some steam (first Stevenson, now Jefford).