The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Domaine Michel Gros Clos Vougeot Grand Maupertuis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 1999 Domaine Michel Gros Clos Vougeot Grand Maupertuis

by Sam Platt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:07 am

1999 Domaine Michel Gros Clos Vougeot Grand Maupertuis

This wine exemplifies why I love Burgundy. I bought it from a close-out bin in a seedy little liquor store for about $40 a couple of years ago. It was out of sight and out of mind at the back of my storage unit until I came across it while doing a quick New Years inventory. Since Burgundy really pissed me off for most of '08 I hesitated to open it for fear of getting off to a bad start in '09.

On uncorking there was a powerful nose of barbequed meat which would compete with the aroma at almost any back alley, late night rib joint. After an hour in the decanter berry fruit came forward and the meat note moved to the background joined by some nice spice. In the glass the color was a deep burgundy red with no pink at the rim at all. I would have gotten my $40 worth just sniffing and looking at this wine. On entry there was cherry licorice with some savory red meat mid palate. The finish was steak sauce and spice that lingered for minutes. Overall the wine exhibited a wonderful pure pinot fruit. This CdV was perfectly elegant and fully integrated with no trace of tannin. Much, much better than I had anticipated.

I'm sure that a poet, or wine writer could describe a good Burgundy much better than I can, but it seems that the best Burgs show a simple complexity, or an understated power. This wine, as with all of my favorite Burgundies, doesn't knock you down. It wraps you up in nice warm silk blanket. Sorry for the overblown discription, but I couldn't come up with a suitable haiku.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 1999 Domaine Michel Gros Clos Vougeot Grand Maupertuis

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 am

Sam-
Great note!
Thanks.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1999 Domaine Michel Gros Clos Vougeot Grand Maupertuis

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Haiku is a lot like Burgundy. A great one is truly great.

There's a lot of bad haiku out there. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up