The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Will I ever be a Wine Guru?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Will I ever be a Wine Guru?

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Don't like being a Uber Geek since I don't know what one is. Was happy as a cellar rat and a wine geek. Seems that it takes 400+ to be a wine guru so may not make it. :cry:
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Will I ever be a Wine Guru?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Good question and I can see a lot of fun coming up here with this thread!! Bob Ross, he`s a Guru I think. Not sure about Bill from Boston, he`s a duckie fan!! Hows the moult there Bill?
BTW thats not algae floating on the surface, its spinach!!
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good question and I can see a lot of fun coming up here with this thread!! Bob Ross, he`s a Guru I think. Not sure about Bill from Boston, he`s a duckie fan!! Hows the moult there Bill?
BTW thats not algae floating on the surface, its spinach!!

Beware of Bob Ross. When he posts comments to three people he will actually make it three threads. He may only be 1/2 of a wine guru, who really knows? Don't kow about that duckie guy. Wonder why there is not a "wino" classification? The difference between some of us and the guy on the corner with a brown paper bag may only be $3 per bottle.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:57 pm

What comes after guru? And how many posts does one need? What if I don't like names for different amounts of posts? I think Musaroholic and the # 12 (= # of Musar bottles drunk this year, gosh I have been slow) would be a better name and number for me.... :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:What if I don't like names for different amounts of posts? I think Musaroholic ...

Done!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 pm

wrcstl wrote:Don't like being a Uber Geek since I don't know what one is. Was happy as a cellar rat and a wine geek. Seems that it takes 400+ to be a wine guru so may not make it. :cry:
Walt

I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but just for the record, we just threw up those "ranks" when we set up the new forum because the PhpBB software accommodates them, and we sure didn't want to set up anything <i>serious</i>.

As an instant policy decision, I'll volunteer to assign "special" ranks - like Otto the Musaroholic - to anyone who achieves Uber Geek (100 post) status. Nothing obscene, and it has to be short enough to fit in the small space allowed. But if you want to pick a unique rank just for you, Walt, let me know what you want it to be ...
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:What if I don't like names for different amounts of posts? I think Musaroholic ...

Done!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks. I guess. Dubious honour? But 395 is more than 12....
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:What comes after guru? And how many posts does one need? What if I don't like names for different amounts of posts? I think Musaroholic and the # 12 (= # of Musar bottles drunk this year, gosh I have been slow) would be a better name and number for me.... :)

Otto,
My guess is that after 400 you become a wine guru. You are close. If you make it you may have to move to a country where there is not a wine monopoly to really deserve the title. I still like wino.
Walt
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:05 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Done!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks. I guess. Dubious honour? But 395 is more than 12....

Otto,
You have arrived!!!
Walt
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:08 pm

My plan is to make inane replies to as many different threads as possible and become a wine guru by September. School starts and I have to be much more careful about checking out the forum (did I get that right Robin?) in between classes!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:13 pm

wrcstl wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:What comes after guru? And how many posts does one need? What if I don't like names for different amounts of posts? I think Musaroholic and the # 12 (= # of Musar bottles drunk this year, gosh I have been slow) would be a better name and number for me.... :)

Otto,
My guess is that after 400 you become a wine guru. You are close. If you make it you may have to move to a country where there is not a wine monopoly to really deserve the title. I still like wino.
Walt

But, but... I don't want a number by my post. I guess I'm just being a typical Finn and being all introspective and all, but I don't like the idea of being ranked by how often one posts. I'll admit, I get a bit embarassed at how noisy I am on this board on the days I'm working at the computer and check the board a bit too often.... I'd like no numbers at all, actually: it wouldn't then embarass me at how noisy I am and it wouldn't be a constant reminder for me to get back to work on my papers.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:17 pm

OK, I did not understand!! I thought you were all talking about something else. In my mind, I was thinking of RP as a wine guru....but Bob Ross tops him. I see I am a uber geek, thats gotta change!!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:18 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:OK, I did not understand!! I thought you were all talking about something else. In my mind, I was thinking of RP as a wine guru....but Bob Ross tops him. I see I am a uber geek, thats gotta change!!!

Bob Parsons
Pie Guru
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:But, but... I don't want a number by my post. I guess I'm just being a typical Finn and being all introspective and all, but I don't like the idea of being ranked by how often one posts.

I don't think I can edit that, Otto, but I'll look into it.

It's really only a silly feature done for fun, and no one's complained until now. It IS possible to turn it off entirely, but I suspect that if I proposed that, then we'll hear from everyone who loves it. :roll:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:26 pm

Don't do it. then I would have no incentive to get back to work. I'm working my way up to wine guru and I've never tasted a first growth before!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Robin, is it possible just make a blank entry for the rank on an individual basis? If so, I would prefer that in my own case. If it's really easy to do. Otherwise, just let it go with the flow. Thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As an instant policy decision, I'll volunteer to assign "special" ranks - like Otto the Musaroholic - to anyone who achieves Uber Geek (100 post) status. Nothing obscene, and it has to be short enough to fit in the small space allowed. But if you want to pick a unique rank just for you, Walt, let me know what you want it to be ...

Beware instant policy decisions...they will come back to haunt you...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Beware instant policy decisions...they will come back to haunt you...

Nice one Dave! Only 103 posts to Wine Guru status!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:44 pm

wrcstl wrote:Don't like being a Uber Geek since I don't know what one is. Was happy as a cellar rat and a wine geek. Seems that it takes 400+ to be a wine guru so may not make it. :cry:
Walt

I think it takes 500+ posts to get to wine guru status. I wonder if I get the secret decoder pen with that? What do we get Robin? Maybe Bob will tell me? I still have 102 to go. I gotta get posting!
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:03 am

Bob Ross wrote:Robin, is it possible just make a blank entry for the rank on an individual basis? If so, I would prefer that in my own case. If it's really easy to do. Otherwise, just let it go with the flow. Thanks. Bob

Bob,
Just light hearted kidding caused by having time on my hands. The current system works just fine IMO but still do not know what a Uber Geek is.
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 am

James Roscoe wrote:I think it takes 500+ posts to get to wine guru status. I wonder if I get the secret decoder pen with that? What do we get Robin? Maybe Bob will tell me? I still have 102 to go. I gotta get posting!

What do you get? The people's ovation and fame forever! Who could want anything more tangible than that?

At this time, "Wine Guru" at 500 is the top, but as the new forum software matures, we will have to come up with some goodies for higher ranks. Maybe at 1,000 you become "The Reincarnation of Parker"?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 am

Robin Garr wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I think it takes 500+ posts to get to wine guru status. I wonder if I get the secret decoder pen with that? What do we get Robin? Maybe Bob will tell me? I still have 102 to go. I gotta get posting!

What do you get? The people's ovation and fame forever! Who could want anything more tangible than that?

At this time, "Wine Guru" at 500 is the top, but as the new forum software matures, we will have to come up with some goodies for higher ranks. Maybe at 1,000 you become "The Reincarnation of Parker"?

I'll quit posting just to avoid that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I'll quit posting just to avoid that.

Okay, "Reincarnation of Marvin," then ...
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I'll quit posting just to avoid that.

Okay, "Reincarnation of Marvin," then ...

Robin,
I want "reincarnation of Jancis". Polite conversation standards pervent me from telling you why.
Walt
Next