The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 06 Carlisle 2 Acres, 06 Kuyam 13 Moons (Core)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

TN: 06 Carlisle 2 Acres, 06 Kuyam 13 Moons (Core)

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:58 pm

2006 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/21/2008)
Nice funk on the nose right after opening. Maybe some reduction but then it moves to more asphalt and citrus. I would refer to the aromatics as deep. Big RRV berry fruit at the start. This wine is aggressive and slightly hot. High acid and high tannin. Minerals and iron through the middle. Much richer in the mid-palate. I don’t remember the 05 being so ripe. The wine is too much for me right now but should settle down with a few years of rest. (89 pts.)

2006 Kuyam 13 Moons Santa Barbara Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (12/18/2008)
Intriguing aromatics. I was getting blueberries, water and roasted meat. I probably would have guessed this a cab franc. We had this wine over two days and on the second day the old world aromatics were more awake. On the palate this hits to top of the mouth. Tasty spice element. A young California red that lots of minerals. The finish is very strong. This could probably use a few years but works great now. Nice QPR. (89 pts.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 06 Carlisle 2 Acres, 06 Kuyam 13 Moons (Core)

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Jason-
At one time, I was on the Carlisle list but found them to be a bit over the top fruit bomby for my tastes. I think the problem was that I was drinking them waaaay too young. I've recently been tasting some of their Syrahs with 7 or 8 years on them and found them to be drinking very nicely. I'll never confuse them with a No. Rhone, but they seem to please my palate and handle the alcohol pretty well. They just require some patience to reconcile with my palate.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Bill, I agree with your assessment. I pretty much stick to the Two Acres because always seemed slightly more restrained ... when compared to the syrahs and zins. It will be interesting to see where this is in 5 years.

Jason
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Redwinger wrote:I'll never confuse them with a No. Rhone, but they seem to please my palate and handle the alcohol pretty well. They just require some patience to reconcile with my palate.
'Winger

Winger, would you say this wine might compare to a hot climate syrah from OZ? Say Southeast OZ?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Redwinger wrote:I'll never confuse them with a No. Rhone, but they seem to please my palate and handle the alcohol pretty well. They just require some patience to reconcile with my palate.
'Winger

Winger, would you say this wine might compare to a hot climate syrah from OZ? Say Southeast OZ?

Not Winger but I don't think the Carlisle wines have the same texture of ripe shiraz although there are elements of the flavor profile that are similar. The wines are of high quality and worth a visit.

Jason