The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

WTN: 2002 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch

by Dave R » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 pm

2002 Ridge “Mazzoni Home Ranch” – 66% Zinfandel, 32% Carignane and 2% Petite Sirah. 40 barrels produced.

This is nothing like it was on release. The dull fruits warmed up and the tannins have fully integrated.

Dark purple in the glass with incredible aromas of black cherry, black tea, plum, spice, raspberry and the classic Draper Perfume (have you trademarked that yet, Geo T.?) Very nice texture on the palate with similar flavors and just a bit of tannins on the back side.

While this was unplanned, the wine went rather well with Moussaka of all things.

Long live Ridge.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup.....

by TomHill » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Dave R wrote:2002 Ridge “Mazzoni Home Ranch” – 66% Zinfandel, 32% Carignane and 2% Petite Sirah. 40 barrels produced.
This is nothing like it was on release. The dull fruits warmed up and the tannins have fully integrated.
Dark purple in the glass with incredible aromas of black cherry, black tea, plum, spice, raspberry and the classic Draper Perfume (have you trademarked that yet, Geo T.?) Very nice texture on the palate with similar flavors and just a bit of tannins on the back side.

Dave,
Those Ridge ATP wines, upon release, are often as dull as dishwater. I usuallt try one as soon as it hits the front steps. They're usually pleasant enough, but they always leave me shaking my head "Why'd they bother to make this wine?". Then they have this uncanny knack, when I try them 2-3 yrs down the road again, of rearing up and biting you on the a$$ they're so good. You gotta learn to have faith in that Draper fella I guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2002 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Ridge "Mazzoni Home Ranch" is a new one on me - though at 40 barrels quantity, it's a bit surprising I've not seen it here. Is it relatively new?
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Ridge "Mazzoni Home Ranch" is a new one on me - though at 40 barrels quantity, it's a bit surprising I've not seen it here. Is it relatively new?

Ridge has been making Mazzoni for some 5-6 yrs, Ian. It's an ATP (Advanced Tasting Program) wine that mostly goes to
their ATP subscribers and it's not often that an ATP wine makes it into normal retail distribution.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2002 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Tom
Thanks for that - in which case I'm unsurprised I haven't seen it!
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster