The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Vina Canepa Magnificum

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

WTN: 1999 Vina Canepa Magnificum

by Andrew Burge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 am

What a great name. This is a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon form the Colchagua Valley in Chile. Bought for no rational reason at Santiago airport in 2005 in a mixed sixpack of Chilean superpremiums, none of which get imported into Aus anymore. A crying shame the 01 AlmaViva was superimpressive. I'm told 1999 was a good year in Chile, and the wine would certainly reflect that. It sports a shiny gold medal from some competition in Paris in 2003.

This is nice. Reminds me a lot of the 1998 Seppelt Drumborg Cabernet oddly enough. A lovely blackcurrant and blueberry fruit profile. Some vanilla, and perhaps even custard oak comes out with air, but is complementary rather than overpowering. There's also cedar, and a touch of fresh leafy herbs. The tannin profile is what defines it as Cabernet - very front of mouth, and enough to induce a good pucker. Good length, but some merlot or carmenere would perhaps have helped fill the good ol' mid palate hole.

Overall a sophisticated effort where one might have expected something more rustic. To me this shows the promise Chile has to produce world class wines.

At its peak. Drink in the next couple of years.

Cheers

Andrew