The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Zenato Lugana San Benedetto 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Zenato Lugana San Benedetto 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm

DOC San Benedetto
100% Trebbiano di Lugana

Medium dark yellow in the glass.

Vanilla and cream soda on the nose.

Creamy, green apple, pear, lemon, with a lovely tongue-shivering tingle of acidity, quite rich, honeyed, gently spicy, round and refreshing.

A mouthwatering finish.

A lovely bottle of wine at an equally lovely price.

Purchased at $15.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Zenato Lugana San Benedetto 2007

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:52 pm

That does sound lovely, including the price!

Zenato makes good wines. I am surprised they do not get more coverage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Zenato makes good wines. I am surprised they do not get more coverage.

I think Italo-philes tend to see them as more of a "commercial" winery, but I've liked a lot of their stuff.

Lugano, though, is Da Bomb. It may be one of the most under-rated white varieties in the world.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Isn't Lugano a NASCAR driver?

Oh wait, that's Logano.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:DOC San Benedetto 100% Trebbiano di Lugana Medium dark yellow in the glass. Vanilla and cream soda on the nose. Creamy, green apple, pear, lemon, with a lovely tongue-shivering tingle of acidity, quite rich, honeyed, gently spicy, round and refreshing. A mouthwatering finish. A lovely bottle of wine at an equally lovely price.

Bruce, I have drunk a lot of bottles of the Zenato pinot grigio over the years, and the pg is a few dollars less than the lugana. Zenato also makes a ripassa red Valpo that is nice wine. Sad to say though that the ripassa has passed the price limit that I will pay, as it is nearly $25 per here. I have found that Tommassi makes a ripasso wine that is few dollars less and about as good. All in all I agree with David B about not understanding why Zenato hasn't gathered more ink here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:DOC San Benedetto 100% Trebbiano di Lugana Medium dark yellow in the glass. Vanilla and cream soda on the nose. Creamy, green apple, pear, lemon, with a lovely tongue-shivering tingle of acidity, quite rich, honeyed, gently spicy, round and refreshing. A mouthwatering finish. A lovely bottle of wine at an equally lovely price.

Bruce, I have drunk a lot of bottles of the Zenato pinot grigio over the years, and the pg is a few dollars less than the lugana. Zenato also makes a ripassa red Valpo that is nice wine. Sad to say though that the ripassa has passed the price limit that I will pay, as it is nearly $25 per here. I have found that Tommassi makes a ripasso wine that is few dollars less and about as good. All in all I agree with David B about not understanding why Zenato hasn't gathered more ink here.

Did a quick search and there appears to be quite a few bottles of Zenato wines available here in Ontario, including the 2007 PG at $16.95. We also have the 2006 Ripassa you mentioned at $16.95 for a half bottle or $24.95 for a regular bottle.
Last edited by Bruce Hayes on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:15 pm

The 2005 Ripassa is even $25 at my local shop. Odd. Of course it came in this summer, so it was likely bought with a dollar that was 1.60 to the Euro. Canadian currency was doing better back then.
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Zenato is a great producer and the pricing is fair, esp. considering the quality. The "Lugana Sergio Zenato" is probably the best Trebbiano based wine in Italy (and one of the very few Trebbiano wines that gains something with some bottle age). The "Amarone Sergio Zenato Riserva" is really one of the best in its class (and a balanced dinner wine, without the excess residual sugar and oak of many other "new-age" Amarone wines, although word is the 2004 is more of a fruit-bomb). The entire range of Zenato wines is first-rate, widely available, and well-priced/reliable.

Marco
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Marco Raimondi wrote:probably the best Trebbiano based wine in Italy (and one of the very few Trebbiano wines that gains something with some bottle age).

Marco, as I understand it, Trebbiano di Lugana is a completely different variety than Trebbiano di Soave, related in name only. Agreed on its ageworthiness. Visiting Lugana a couple of years ago, I had some 10 and 20-year-old Luganas that were absolutely amazing, reminiscent of excellent older white Burgundies.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:57 pm

I think Zenato would make for an excellent Open Mike! Better still Boss, hows about an upcoming Wine Focus!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I think Zenato would make for an excellent Open Mike! Better still Boss, hows about an upcoming Wine Focus!!

Go for the open mike, Bob. It's a little too narrow to feature one specific producer for a whole month on Wine Focus, I think.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah, think you are right. Thought I would mention the option (wink).
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marco Raimondi wrote:probably the best Trebbiano based wine in Italy (and one of the very few Trebbiano wines that gains something with some bottle age).

Marco, as I understand it, Trebbiano di Lugana is a completely different variety than Trebbiano di Soave, related in name only. Agreed on its ageworthiness. Visiting Lugana a couple of years ago, I had some 10 and 20-year-old Luganas that were absolutely amazing, reminiscent of excellent older white Burgundies.

Robin:

I did not know that!

So, based on your post, I pulled out my trusty "2214 Vini d'Italia" (Riccardo di Corato, 1975) which partially confirms your information: according to di Corato, the Trebbiano di Lugana is the same as Trebbiano di Soave, but neither grape is really a "Trebbiano/Ugni Blanc" rather, they appear to be related to the Verdicchio grape. A bit of "research" on the internet, however, completely confirms your info. that the so-called "Trebbiano di Lugana" is no Trebbiano at all, and not even related to the Trebbiano di Soave, but rather a completely autoctonous grape (exclusive to the area) and historically/locally named: "Turbiana". As of 2005, the Lugana Consortium had asked for formal recognition of the vine in the national registry of vines.... any further info??

Thanks for the heads up, Robin!

Cordially,
Marco
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Robin, Marco,

Several years ago I was talking to my producer of Verdicchio di Matelica and a representative of Rauscedo, the big Italian nursery, and the Rauscedo man said that Trebbiano di Lugana is the same as Trebbiano di Soave and Verdicchio. I don't know if he's right.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 pm

'Turbiano' sounds like a dialect corruption of Trebbiano...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines