The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yoakim Bridge zin '03

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Yoakim Bridge zin '03

by John Treder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Yoakim Bridge is the rickety old bridge that crosses Dry Creek and brings traffic from Old Dry Creek Road over to Dry Creek Road. Yoakim Bridge Winery is located at the stop sign on Dry Creek Road. It's run by Virginia Morgan and David Cooper. David Cooper does the farming of his vines and makes the wine, and wanders around Dry Creek Valley and schmoozes with other growers and finds a bit of fruit here and there that he likes.
This wine was harvested on September 28, 2003. Sixteen tons were picked that day from two vineyards on the east side of Dry Creek Valley.
And now I've told you all I know and a bit I've surmised about this wine.

I had ravioli - meat ravioli and a meat sauce - for dinner tonight and it's cold for SillyValley. It was 35 when I got up this morning, and it was about 50 at dinner time. There's this small Italian deli that used to be on Stevens Creek Road, but after the owner died and his nephew inherited the store, and then their lease ran out, they moved to Saratoga. I've bought ravioli there for maybe 30 years. (I've made ravioli; it's cheaper and a bunch easier to buy it.)

And after all the fancy food and stuff on the holidays, I wanted a bottle that might be easier to appreciate.
I think I guessed well. Seriously good Zin. Slow to open. Very dark. Still pretty tannic, but beep blackberry flavor that lasts and lasts and lasts.

Bought at the winery in March 2008 for $34. 14.5% alcohol

John
John in the wine county