The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Boring Beaunes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Three Boring Beaunes

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:00 am

1986 Albert Morot Beaune Marconnets
This was an ‘inspired’ purchase in hopes of a surprise underdog payoff. Unfortunately, that payoff never materialized. It wasn’t exactly ‘dead’ or ‘terrible’ as there was still some juicy grip to go along with the mature iron rust. But, not very distinctive and not much reason to drink.

2002 Albert Morot Beaune Marconnets
This was supposed to be a safer choice, until I got clobbered by the soft sweet caramel. I actually liked the first pour because it was juicy, bold, and flattering. But when I returned to taste I realized that it was all too juicy, bold and flattering. Perhaps others would like the soft sweet stuff. But not me.

1996 Jadot Beaune Theurons
I was wondering if this would show the fierce 96 acid streak but that was not a problem. Starts off a tad soupy and spicy but gains definition and depth with air. A decent amount of fruit in the middle and not a ‘pain’ to drink, but the briary toasty spicy flavors and slightly blocky texture just don’t do it for me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three Boring Beaunes

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:55 am

Rahsaan - do you think you might like the 2002 in several years after the fruit has faded more into the background?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Rahsaan - do you think you might like the 2002 in several years after the fruit has faded more into the background?

Maybe. I'm not an expert on producers or on how wines evolve and I may indeed find that 02 Morot more tolerable/enjoyable in a few years. But, the sweet caramel (which is not just fruit, in my understanding) was so strong and overpowering (for me) that I'm not sure I'll ever love the wine and I can probably find better ways to spend/gamble my money.

I've seen Oswaldo post similar notes about caramelly 04s from Morot, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that that is the general style for the producer? At least in recent years? (I understand some of the late 80s early 90s wines might have been different)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Not sure on general style, but I have some 2005s, so I guess I will find out eventually.
Decisions are made by those who show up