The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2004 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères Jadis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

2004 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères Jadis

by SteveG » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 am

2004 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères Jadis (France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Faugères)

Not hot despite 14% labeling

Clear mahogany in the glass, nose of funky plums. Surprisingly bright on the palate, almost minty proper syrah spice, ripe and racy red fruit yielding to balancing tang and surprisingly (to me) light tannins. Light acid finish with lots of those funky plums. This wine was of fruitier and fresher style than I personally prefer, but that said genuinely enjoyable (with homemade hamburgers). Perhaps another year or three in the cellar would thoroughly mature this wine, still many would prefer it today.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: 2004 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères Jadis

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:48 am

SteveG wrote:2004 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères Jadis (France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Faugères)

This wine was of fruitier and fresher style than I personally prefer...

I am not sure what you mean by 'fruitier' but the freshness of these wines - desite their deep rough Southern fruit - is what makes them very appealing to me. Of course I have a strong bias in favor of Northern French wines, so I guess that explains it.
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 pm

I am not sure what you mean by 'fruitier' but the freshness of these wines - despite their deep rough Southern fruit - is what makes them very appealing to me. Of course I have a strong bias in favor of Northern French wines, so I guess that explains it.

Hi, Rahsaan,

Thanks for your most helpful reply! I am not very familiar with wines from this area, and my comments reflect a general personal preference for a more austere style, but as you have properly pointed out, I may be associating that freshness (one I prefer with white wines, FWIW) with more overpowering and alcoholic wines of my experience. In any case, there is no mistake that I liked this wine a lot, and thanks for helping explain to me why it exceeded my expectations!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:13 pm

SteveG wrote:I am not very familiar with wines from this area, and my comments reflect a general personal preference for a more austere style..

Well Faugères (and Southern France in general) is not exactly known for being austere.

I don't know if anyone here knows about Barral's production techniques? Some of his disciples (Yannick Pelletier) have used carbonic maceration to preserve freshness in their Southern wines. Not sure about Barral.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:11 pm

I looked around and found this note from Jamie on the Barral white.....>

Domaine Leon Barral Faugeres 'Jadis' 2002 Languedoc, France
Now for something a little different. This is a deliciously complex, funky Languedoc red that tastes a bit like a French version of Chateau Musar, the gloriously funky Lebanese red. If you approached this wine with a 'new world' mindset, you'd probably spit it out. But I think it's fantastic, because it really works, and it's tremendously food friendly. It has a warm, aromatic, spicy, meaty, earthy nose that's incredibly rich and inviting. The palate is rich and ripe, with meaty, earthy, savoury notes as well as sweet fruit. There's a slightly dry, subtly metallic finish, which is perhaps the only downside. I'd heartily recommend this wine, but be warned: it's on the funky side, and if you don't like your wines with a bit of funk, steer clear. 91/100 (£12.50 Les Caves de Pyrene)