The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Angelini Spuntali Brunello di Montalcino

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 1995 Angelini Spuntali Brunello di Montalcino

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Last night, with butternut squash lasagne, we drank a 1995 Angelini Spuntali Brunello. Still youthful looking with slight bricking around the edges. A floral nose and a leathery palate with a core of raspberries and a lovely finish. It was decanted for about an hour when we started drinking this with lentil soup and continued with the lasagne. We finished up the lasagne with a 2004 Gaja Ca'Marcanda that was all black cherry and chocolate, that cut through the richness of the dish and was the antithesis of the previous wine.

The Gaja was a gift from our visit to the winery in November. The friends who joined us for dinner last night were supposed to have gone to Piedmont with us, but family circumstances prevented them from taking this trip. Since their preference is for fruit forward and modern styled wines, I promised I would open our bottle with them.
Diane
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 1995 Angelini Spuntali Brunello di Montalcino

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:47 pm

I went through a case of the 97 Spuntali in the early years of this century (!) and have to say that I have never liked a Brunello better than that. I remember reading that the soil has something particular, like lots of fossilized shellfish, that explains its distinctiveness.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.