The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

mold on corks in cellar?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

mold on corks in cellar?

by Steven Noess » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Ok, after calming down from my initial worrying, I thought I'd elicit some opinions about the mold that I've just discovered in my wine cellar. I have about 125 bottles in an upright wine cabinet/refrigerator (whatever it's called), and i just noticed that a number of my bottles have begun to grow a white (with green in some spots) mold on them. Even the bottles with a foil enclosure have mold underneath on the corks. The mold is limited to the tops of the corks and is not on any of the bottles themselves. Should I worry...will this ruin the wine? How do I remove it, assuming I should?

Any insight from anyone with more knowledge than me is greatly appreciated.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: mold on corks in cellar?

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Steven Noess wrote:Ok, after calming down from my initial worrying, I thought I'd elicit some opinions about the mold that I've just discovered in my wine cellar. I have about 125 bottles in an upright wine cabinet/refrigerator (whatever it's called), and i just noticed that a number of my bottles have begun to grow a white (with green in some spots) mold on them. Even the bottles with a foil enclosure have mold underneath on the corks. The mold is limited to the tops of the corks and is not on any of the bottles themselves. Should I worry...will this ruin the wine? How do I remove it, assuming I should?

Any insight from anyone with more knowledge than me is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like excess humidity. What is the humidity level in your fridge..try to keep it between 50-70% you should be fine. That aside, I don't think it is a problem unless you ever want to flip the bottles.

Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 pm

Very common (in fact expected), on very old wines. As I understand it, not a concern unless the seal on the cork has failed to the point that wine is being exchanged to the surface and back - in which case, the mold is probably the least of your problems. Rogov should have some great info/insight on this.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Excess humidity is the likely culprit. Wipe 'em off and don't worry about it.
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for the reassurance. I was worried that I might have ruined them, so it's good to hear it's not a major problem.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Don't worry about it. You should see the state of some of the winegrowers' cellars in France. There's mold growing there that could star in its own grade-B horror movie.

-Paul W.