The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Les Cailloux, CDP...BLEH!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1998 Les Cailloux, CDP...BLEH!

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:01 pm

1998 Les Cailloux (Lucien et André Brunel) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/11/2009)

Decanted off some sediment. There is considerable bricking, suggesting much older wine.
Disappointing. NJ says it smells like stinky work boots and I have to agree. No fruit. My one and only bottle which is a good thing.
I guess there is considerable bottle variation on this particular wine and I drew the short straw. This bottle sucked!

Posted from CellarTracker
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1998 Les Cailloux, CDP...BLEH!

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:06 pm

It seems likely that a substantial portion of this wine was damaged in transit.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It seems likely that a substantial portion of this wine was damaged in transit.

Any idea where the damage occurred? After delivery to the importer(s)?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:07 am

Given how widespread the premature aging is, I would either say in coming to the USA, or even earlier.

Of course there's is always that insidious possibility that they have altered the winemaking & the wine just won't age the same way that it did in the '80s and early '90s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:52 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Given how widespread the premature aging is, I would either say in coming to the USA, or even earlier.

Of course there's is always that insidious possibility that they have altered the winemaking & the wine just won't age the same way that it did in the '80s and early '90s.

But Bill Spohn recently posted a positive note on this same wine, and it's hard to believe that, even with differing perceptions and sensitivities, he could feel so wildly different about a wine widely reported as being damaged. Since he got his through the local liquor monopoly, I surmise that it's more an issue with importation to the US, or at least the Left Coast (there have been positive notes out of the East IIRC).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Given how widespread the premature aging is, I would either say in coming to the USA, or even earlier.

But Bill Spohn recently posted a positive note on this same wine, and it's hard to believe that, even with differing perceptions and sensitivities, he could feel so wildly different about a wine widely reported as being damaged. Since he got his through the local liquor monopoly, I surmise that it's more an issue with importation to the US, or at least the Left Coast (there have been positive notes out of the East IIRC).

Mark Lipton

Mark-

I saw the other Bill's note about a week ago and it gave me a glimmer of optimism. It is not even remotely possible that this was a difference of taste/perception. His was not damaged and mine was. Even NJ, who is not usually critical of wine, muttered something along the lines of WTF?

On the good/plus side, I haven't had a corked bottle in quite some time, so I suspect the FLAWS are evening out.

Bill