The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Pretty Fine Wine Weekend! Zin, Loire, Cab, Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN Pretty Fine Wine Weekend! Zin, Loire, Cab, Chianti

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:02 pm

With Beau at WineStyles:
2005 Domaine Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny. Beautiful creamy mouthfeel and texture. Big nose with good Pinosity, but the palate is not New World style-very restarined, earthy, and elegant.

2003 Noah Zinfandel "Las Chamizales" Vineyard Sonoma Valley. In no way faded. Big, spicy Sonoma Zinfandel, with a very nice brambly character. I'm not always a big Zinfandel fan, but this had medium mouthfeel (i.e., not syrupy) and the alchol was restrained. Quite nice.

Holiday Party
2007 Clos Roche Blance "Cabernet" Touraine (Loire Valley). What a lovely example of funky French biodynamic wine. Dark ruby red in color. Delicious sour cherry and white pepper on the nose. Very earthy on the palate, with more sour cherry, red plum notes. Despite the lightness in texture and high acidity, this remains a quite rich wine. There is a hint of the dread bell pepper, but it is only element of complexity in the flavor profile. Delicious-and CHEAP!

2001 Clos Du Val Reserve. Beautiful piercing Stag's Leap black cherry and currant fruit. Very nice anise notes. A hint of fine secondary development, although this is a very primary wine. Probably infanticide, but these wines are so juicy in their youth that they are "worth it."

2001 Hamelin Bay (Margaret River, Australia) Cabernet Sauvignon. Purchased at one of my favorite Bay Area wine shops, Vintages Berkeley. Showing much more evolution than the Clos Du Val, with some definitely funky (brett?) notes, soft tannins are pretty well resolved, lots of different things going on. Very nice tobacco/leather on the medium length finish. Very enjoyable!

2001 Hagafen Estate Syrah. I quite liked the meaty Rhonishness of this aged Syrah when I tried it this summer at the winery. My bottle, however, was nothing but acidic vinegar. Dead and down the drain :evil:

1994 Windsor Vineyards White Zinfandel :mrgreen: You've all heard of "red wines" and "white wines." May I bring to your attention a BEIGE wine. :mrgreen: A White Elephant Gift Gift. Actually, believe it or not, this was not all that foul. It tasted like a still-sweet, caramelized very old white wine. More drinkable than the Hagafen!
:shock:

With Joe and Donna

1995 Felsina Beredegna Chianti Classico. Wow. Just wow. Wine of the month? No sign of fading, this beauty had dark color. Fantastic nose of cherry fruit and leather. This powerful cherry fruit followed through on the palate, with amazingly bright fruit and delicious Sangiovese acidity that makes your mouth water. Hint of tobacco and leather on the finish. This wine could last another five years! Much richer and bigger than the previous bottle, which was lighter in color and faded.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach