The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A trio of 1959s and more- a night of perfect decadence

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

WTN: A trio of 1959s and more- a night of perfect decadence

by Ruth B » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:02 pm

We were lucky enough to drink a passel of once in a lifetime wines Friday night courtesy of an old friend who was celebrating a milestone birthday. The party was at a lovely intimate restaurant and the meal was created by the chef and our wine loving benefactor to match the staggering list of wines. Yes we staggered to the taxi!

We started with
NV Nicolas Feuillatte Premier Cru champagne -- pale, lovely and fresh-- slight hint of citrus
It was a terrific match for the hors d'ourves of parmesan crisps stuffed with goat cheese mousse, gourgeres stuffed with pickled onions, pancetta and arugula and tiny chicken schnitzel with lemon.

Round two
1985 Krug -- the fourth time I have been lucky enough to enjoy this champagne (going back to Dec31st 1999) and it still packs the same major hit of apricots, honey and fresh bread. It is rich gold in colour and just a little viscous. This is one of the best wines I have ever had and continues to delight.
1990 Dom Perignon -- the third time for this wine and it did not show quite as well. Paler in colour, with a hint of something amiss (slightest hint of banana and acetone) on the nose.
Paired with a napoleon of caviar, potato cake, smoked salmon and lemon creme fraiche -- which was a stunning couple of mouthfuls.

Round three
1959 Remoissenet Peter & Fils Richebourg Grand Cru -- stunningly still carrying gorgeous Burgundy aromas of leather and tobacco and even at 50, beautiful elegant berries. There was some fade of colour at the edges, but I certainly would have guessed this to be from the 80's.
1995 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee St-Vivant Grand Cru -- this magnum of wine showed hardly any age at all. This had some tropical fruit in addition to the red berry/cherry. If you are lucky enough to have some, it will hold!
Paired with Duck three ways, seared fois gras and warm wild mushroom and truffle salad, seared confit with apples brussel sprouts and grainy mustard and grilled breast with prosciutto wrapped fennel and balsamic cherry sauce.

Round four
1959 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild -- which is now the best wine I have ever consumed. How can I ever answer that question again without sounding like a wine snob????? Stunning rich Bordeaux nose with layer after layer of rich dark fruit, hint of cacao. The edges did show some fade and there is not even the hint of tannin left, but still a lovely lingering elegance that I have never experienced before
1990 Chateau Margaux --another magnum and my second favourite wine of the night. On any other day it would be the wine of the year -- rich, succulent, dark, everything you could hope from such a fine Bordeaux
Paired with braised short rib with mascarpone polenta cake and caramelized shallots

Round five (are you tired yet?)
1959 Chateau d'Yquem--liquid gold, what else can I say? This was the consensus favourite of the night, apricot syrup with just a touch of peach. So intense it took my breath away but yet perfectly balanced, not even remotely cloying. This is why people pay what they do for Sauterne.
1976 Chateau d'Yquem -- the second time I have been lucky enough to have this wine it is magnificent and similar though slightly lighter version of the '59. Also a knock your socks off wine, if you have a chance to have some and you love dessert wine, this is a classic example of one of the best.
Paired with a savory Roquefort and dried apricot tart with sauterne gelee.

How can we ever thank friends who consistently pour stunning wines for us? The only thing better than the food and wine was the company and the gales of laughter that permeated the evening!
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A trio of 1959s and more- a night of perfect decadence

by Jenise » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Ruth, you're not north of Nowhere when you're drinking wines like these with generous friends; you are most definitely in a special, special place. What a breathtaking list--when I read your title I expected to be impressed but this was a thrill to read.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your impressions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Wow! You know I get to Alberta on a semi-regular basis. Maybe your friends will pour some wines for me. :mrgreen:

Please tell me you are near Banff/Canmore, or at least Calgary!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Wrong David, Ruth is up here!!

Ruth, which restaurant was this?!!
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Wrong David, Ruth is up here!!

Ruth, which restaurant was this?!!

Hi Bob,
Remember we are even a little further north than Edmonton!

It was the Red Ox--we had the restaurant to ourselves! We have had some nice dinners there before, but nothing as elegant and perfectly prepared as this. Frank and his crew really out did themselves.

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Jeepers - you're in the artic circle!

What wine goes with polar bear?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What wine goes with polar bear?

Icewine of course!

If anyone really cares, were are at 54 degrees north. By comparison, Edinburgh Scotland is almost 56 degrees north and Dublin is 53 and change. Their climate is considerably moderated by ocean currents though and we have had a bitterly cold winter. All the better to eat rich food and enjoy great wine to console ourselves!

If you get to Edmonton, let us know.

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 pm

So Ruth - Vancouver was too far for you to come with those wines?

A more sensitive man would feel slighted! I'll forgive you if you promise never to drink anything older than 1970 when I'm not there!

BTW, we had a 1966 Pichon Baron last night that was excellent - defied all reports (RP in particular) of its demise long before! If I didn't have to go to another tasting tonight, I'd already have notes posted. I love how some of these wines seem almost ageless.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing. I guess your friend just turned fifty and was celebrating with birth year wines. One question, though:
Ruth B wrote:1995 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee St-Vivant Grand Cru -- this magnum of wine showed hardly any age at all. This had some tropical fruit in addition to the red berry/cherry. If you are lucky enough to have some, it will hold!
Paired with Duck three ways, seared fois gras and warm wild mushroom and truffle salad, seared confit with apples brussel sprouts and grainy mustard and grilled breast with prosciutto wrapped fennel and balsamic cherry sauce.

Was that a 1995 or a 1959?
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing. I guess your friend just turned fifty and was celebrating with birth year wines. One question, though:
Ruth B wrote:1995 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee St-Vivant Grand Cru -- this magnum of wine showed hardly any age at all... This had some tropical fruit in addition to the red berry/cherry. If you are lucky enough to have some, it will hold!

Was that a 1995 or a 1959?

The mag of St-Vivant DRC was a 95.

The 59s were the Richebourg, the Lafite and the d'Yquem
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Ruth, the annual DeVines Xmas staff bash, plus me, is at the Red Ox Inn on the 25th!!!!