The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jean Vullien Vin de Savoie Mondeuse 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Jean Vullien Vin de Savoie Mondeuse 2005

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm revisiting this for about the 1oth time since I first tried it, and I like it more each time I do (it became my "go-to" food wine for a while, hence the numerous tastings).

The mineral and fruit reaches up subtly but surely from the glass, a mixture of ripe red berries, maybe some dried cherries, and a hint of violets. There is something really seductive about the finish on the nose but I can't place it. The acidity is enough that it calls for food, but there is a creamy quality that lingers on throughout the entire mouth after swallowing.

$18.99 at Potomac Liquors, I should have bought the remaining bottles because I'm pretty sure the distributor was just about out and this isn't easy to find.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Jean Vullien Vin de Savoie Mondeuse 2005

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 am

No it isn't easy to find. Nothing from the Savoie is easy to find. Good catch.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:32 pm

We can get one example of Mondeuse here in California-les Fils de Charles Trosset, and I found it a very very nice drink. But then, look at my sig line :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Good to see Savoie Mondeuse on this forum again - Jean Vullien (who I didn't know was exported - perhaps a one-off?) is a reliable if not really exciting producer, but he has some good vineyards and 2005 was an excellent vintage - great note Kyrstyn. There are few other Savoie Mondeuse available in the USA apart from Les Fils de Charles Trosset, there's also Louis Magnin (Arbin) brought in recently by Louis Dressner and André et Michel Quenard (Chignin) imported by Kermit Lynch, both reliable but quite different styles.

Brian K Miller wrote:.. I found it a very very nice drink. But then, look at my sig line :twisted:

Errr .... Brian, despite what you may see in all the books where Jura (including Arbois) and Savoie are linked together, they really have virtually nothing in common - they are linked for editorial convenience (both very small regions in the eastern part of France, so can put together on a map). But great that you like both! :wink:
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Wink Lorch wrote:Good to see Savoie Mondeuse on this forum again - Jean Vullien (who I didn't know was exported - perhaps a one-off?) is a reliable if not really exciting producer, but he has some good vineyards and 2005 was an excellent vintage - great note Kyrstyn.

Jean was the guest/presenter at one of Lauren't Guinand's members events, and while I recall enjoying some of the other wines he brought with him, the Mondeuse was definitely everyone's favorite. I just called Potomac and they said the distributor still has 4 bottles left and they're going to get them for me :)

Wink, a question for you: How long do you think the '05s will hold up? What sort of ageing can one typically expect from these wines? Also...how well do they travel? I wouldn't mind taking a couple bottles with me when I move to Crete in May, but I'm taking three flights and they're likely to get jostled quite a bit, regardless of how well I pack them. Would it just be a matter of letting the bottle shock subside? (Sorry if that last one is a stupid question, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain wines travel better than others).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Wink Lorch wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:.. I found it a very very nice drink. But then, look at my sig line :twisted:

Errr .... Brian, despite what you may see in all the books where Jura (including Arbois) and Savoie are linked together, they really have virtually nothing in common - they are linked for editorial convenience (both very small regions in the eastern part of France, so can put together on a map). But great that you like both! :wink:

Oh...I guess I really know that!

Geographical proximity! That's enough for me. :mrgreen:

Plus, both regions do feature "odd" indigenous grapes that have that acidity/white pepper flavor I love.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:21 am

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:Wink, a question for you: How long do you think the '05s will hold up? What sort of ageing can one typically expect from these wines? Also...how well do they travel? I wouldn't mind taking a couple bottles with me when I move to Crete in May, but I'm taking three flights and they're likely to get jostled quite a bit, regardless of how well I pack them. Would it just be a matter of letting the bottle shock subside? (Sorry if that last one is a stupid question, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain wines travel better than others).

The 05s will last better than some years, but still for Jean Vullien's Mondeuse I would think another 3 - 5 years maximum. As to how well they (or other wines) traavel, I think all 'modern' wine travels well (and the Vullien will be in this category). The exception are so-called 'Natural' wines. Wines where the dose of the preservative SO2 is very low or the rare zero-added-sulphur wines are at risk of spoiling when travelling due to the temperature changes etc. But yes, all wines benefit from leaving alone for 2 - 3 months after travel like this.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks, Wink!