The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Sean Thackrey Orion & 2006 Copain Les Copains

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 1998 Sean Thackrey Orion & 2006 Copain Les Copains

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 am

1998 Sean H. Thackrey Orion Old Vines Rossi Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (1/9/2009)
This wine is in a groove. Smells delicious. Pure red fruits with a bit of pepper. I loved this middle weight wine. Searing pure fruit. Immediate hedonistic pleasure on the front followed by a great combination of earth and acid. The tannin and acid seem to create a perfect texture. Seems to be holding up just fine but it is real nice now. Reminds me of a great clean CdP. Will probably pop one more before the year is out, just to see if I am crazy. (95 pts.)

2006 Copain Les Copains James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/9/2009)
So I have all this recently delivered Copain at the office and it is one of my employees B-Day, so I decide we had better pop something at mid-day. I grab the Les Copains. Oh man, this has an awesome nose. Kind of like raspberry syrup. Medium bodied and a little bit of heat. Lots of raspberries here. Hedonistic with out being heavy handed. Lots of fruit without bringing sweetness. I had this open for 3 days and by the third day the wine had become very smooth and the heat was gone but in terms of texture, I found it slightly drab. To be honest I am not sure what to put this in terms of age-ability but I will pop and pour 1 bottle this year and let my last bottle sleep for 4-6 years. (90 pts.)
Last edited by Jason Hagen on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1998 Sean Thackrey Orion & 2006 Copain Les Copains

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 am

Searing and hedonistic? That's going to make a lot of frinds 'round these parts. :wink:

Orion is actaully one of my big, bad, bruiser wine blind spots. It goes against everything I generally like, but I still love to drink it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Searing and hedonistic? That's going to make a lot of frinds 'round these parts.

Aw come one, there's good hedonistic and bad hedonistic, isn't there? Like that Maiden (Harlan) I took to Bill's lunch last week: even if it isn't what I want to drink every day, I could not help but admire and revel in what that wine was. Especially when, like Jason's wine, it was hedonism without sweetness (which in fact might be the determining factor for good hedonism.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Orion is actaully one of my big, bad, bruiser wine blind spots. It goes against everything I generally like, but I still love to drink it.

Have you had the 98? I didn't think it was a bruiser especially in terms of other Petite Sirahs we are seeing around now. It was an excellent food wine.

J
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Aw come one, there's good hedonistic and bad hedonistic, isn't there? Like that Maiden (Harlan) I took to Bill's lunch last week: even if it isn't what I want to drink every day, I could not help but admire and revel in what that wine was. Especially when, like Jason's wine, it was hedonism without sweetness (which in fact might be the determining factor for good hedonism.)

Agreed. We need to bring hedonistic back! We can come up with some pejorative term for the current common use of wine hedonism :wink:

J
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:54 pm

"Spoofulated" will do, no? :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:05 pm

I have not had the '98 in a while, but I think I might have the '96 on Thursday.

Oh, and it wasn't so much 'hedonistic' that got me, but rather the combination of searing and hedonistic. Sounds like some Aussie molotov cocktail wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Oh, and it wasn't so much 'hedonistic' that got me, but rather the combination of searing and hedonistic. Sounds like some Aussie molotov cocktail wine.

Right ..."searing" is probably a bad choice of words as I reflect on it. In the moment it is what came to mind because of the way it shot through ... but I realize it has other meaning and connotation. I can say that this wine did not remind me of anything like an Aussie cocktail. And I didn't find it fatiguing in any way. My wife and I finished the bottle (shared a small glass with the server) and we were left wanting more. In 2008 we had so many wines where we struggled with the last glass. I am committed getting back to better times in 2009 ... although I am drinking a Switchback Ridge right now :shock:

Jason