The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Primitivo vs. Zinfandel - thought it was resolved . . . .

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Primitivo vs. Zinfandel - thought it was resolved . . . .

by Ryan M » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 am

Hello Folks,

I had thought that the genetics tests were back, and it had been firmly established, after long anecdotal support, that Zinfandel is genetically identical to at least one strain of Primitivo. But, last month I had a friend (who is also a wine shop owner) tell me that the tests weren't back yet. Can anybody clear this up?

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

'Tis Resolved...

by TomHill » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 am

You friend is just dead wrong.
The work CaroleMeredith did definitively establish that Zin (Calif), Primitivo (Apulia), and ChrylnakCastellanski (Croatia) are all one in the same. And that Chrylnak (sp?) was the original and the other two are mere transplants.
Be aware that today's DNA testing cannot distinguish betweeen clones and that there are probably clonal differences betwixt Zin and Primitivo. In Calif, Zin & Primitivo certainly look/grow differently in the vnyd and make somewhat different wines. GeorgeHendry makes a Zin and a Primitivo from the same vnyd and it's interesting to taste them side-by-side. The differences are not dramatic, but they are different.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Primitivo vs. Zinfandel - thought it was resolved . . . .

by Ryan M » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks Tom. I was really surprised when he told me this, because I seem to remember reading the new release that presented the results.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: Primitivo vs. Zinfandel - thought it was resolved . . . .

by Dave Erickson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:41 am

That's "Crljenak Kaštelanski," please. :D

And thanks for reminding me why I can never remember the name, much less how to spell it or even say it.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: 'Tis Resolved...

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 am

TomHill wrote:...In Calif, Zin & Primitivo certainly look/grow differently in the vnyd and make somewhat different wines. GeorgeHendry makes a Zin and a Primitivo from the same vnyd and it's interesting to taste them side-by-side. The differences are not dramatic, but they are different.
Tom

So, this begs the question, as posed in another thread, are the Zin and Primitivo from the same vineyard growing on the same or different rootstocks? Enquiring minds, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 am

Howie Hart wrote:So, this begs the question, as posed in another thread, are the Zin and Primitivo from the same vineyard growing on the same or different rootstocks? Enquiring minds, etc.

My recollection is that they're grown on the same rootstock. George wanted them to be grown as closely to the Zin as possible so he could identify the differing characteristics.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 pm

TomHill wrote:The work CaroleMeredith did definitively establish that Zin (Calif), Primitivo (Apulia), and ChrylnakCastellanski (Croatia) are all one in the same. And that Chrylnak (sp?) was the original and the other two are mere transplants.
Be aware that today's DNA testing cannot distinguish betweeen clones and that there are probably clonal differences betwixt Zin and Primitivo. In Calif, Zin & Primitivo certainly look/grow differently in the vnyd and make somewhat different wines. GeorgeHendry makes a Zin and a Primitivo from the same vnyd and it's interesting to taste them side-by-side. The differences are not dramatic, but they are different.

Just to allay any confusion among those who read of this, when Prof. Meredith declares that Zin and Primitivo are "genetically the same," that doesn't actually mean that they have identical genomes, but rather that the degree of difference between the two genomes doesn't rise to the level of different varieties. This in turn gives rise to the atypical usage of the term "clone" in Prof. Meredith's writing. In genetics, a clone is a genetically identical offspring; Prof. Meredith (and most viticultarists) uses the word clone to refer to closely related plants that are classified as the same variety but which display different characteristics and have slightly different genomes. By this usage, we all would be considered different clones of H. sapiens (I think -- any Neanderthals posting to WLDG?)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: By this usage, we all would be considered different clones of H. sapiens (I think -- any Neanderthals posting to WLDG?)

Ug!

* "Ug" is my alter-ego, usually when insisting on carrying ALL the shopping bags in a display of faux macho bravado
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:any Neanderthals posting to WLDG?

"Give me anything rated over 90 points!"