The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagrein and Monster Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Lagrein and Monster Merlot

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 pm

At WineStyles' new Beau's Blues on Monday:

Weingut Niklaserhof Sudtiroler Lagrein 2005. My first real experience with lagrein. Darkish red-black in color. White pepper and plum on the nose. I need to expand my "repertoir" of tasting note descriptors, because I'm not sure what fruit I would name here! I'm going to say "red plum," with refreshing acidity and that wonderful white pepper providing a nice touch. Slight bitter note on the finish. This is one of those wines, like some Cru Beaujo Saint Joseph, and even, in my humble experience, better Malbecs, that can be best described as very "juicy" in character. quite mouthwatering and delicious. 90 points.

Ah...I see on K&L wines they use the term "resinous" to describe another Lagrein. That fits!

2005 Darioush Napa Valley Merlot. Bleh. Too, too much for me. I can appreciate the quality of the fruit, but it is just too ripe-definitely the black plum side of things. Falling off the plum trees ripe. Oak. Lots and lots and lots of oak, with a somewhat harsh woody note coming through. Also, the wine is just too sweet. Very sweet, with the vanilla shining through beneath the woody notes. Not my cup of tea at all, even though it was very popular with others at WineStyles last night. It's also quite expensive-someone has to pay for the Temple to the Supermarket Owner's Ego on Silverado Trail. :mrgreen: 79 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Lagrein and Monster Merlot

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Weingut Niklaserhof Sudtiroler Lagrein 2005. I need to expand my "repertoir" of tasting note descriptors, because I'm not sure what fruit I would name here!

I know what you mean. I've only had a few Lagreins and the fruit was so unique that I wasn't sure how to describe it. Something dark red but mineral and juicy at the same time, as you mentioned. And like you I was a big fan and am always happy to drink more.
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

Re: WTN: Lagrein and Monster Merlot

by Gregg G » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 pm

For fans of Lagrien and Teroldego (among others) look no further than Endrizzi (Trentino) for stunning expressions.

http://www.endrizzi.it/default.aspx
Regards,
Gregg