The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

IL Wine Drinkers - Fight back against Unfair Shipping Laws

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc S

Rank

Just got here

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Chicago, IL

IL Wine Drinkers - Fight back against Unfair Shipping Laws

by Marc S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:10 pm

I read and lurk a lot here, and only have posted a couple times - but I feel this is an important thing not just for those of us in IL, but to keep setting the right precedent throughout the country.

Those of you in IL are probably aware that last year, a law was passed that prohibited us from purchasing wine from out of state retailers (although, strangely, in state retailers can still ship out of state). A group of us have gotten together and formed an non-profit group advocating the change of this law to re-grant the right to shipping that we had for 15 years – The Illinois Wine Consumers Coalition.

We’re hoping that with enough voices, enough signatures on the petition, we can get the attention of our legislators and change this anti-consumer law.

Please visit our website at http://www.illinoiswineconsumers.org and sign up, sign the petition, and most importantly, share this info with your IL wine drinking friends! As little as a few thousand names can really make our voice heard – we need your help.

Also, we should be getting some press coverage this week – so write to your editorial pages, send a letter to your representatives, and let’s get our access to fine wine back!

Let me know if you have any questions, ideas for us, or want to get more involved, or would like to donate in support of IWCC. The legal tide is turning in our favor – now is our time to make a difference!

-Marc
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: IL Wine Drinkers - Fight back against Unfair Shipping Laws

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Marc S wrote: a law was passed that prohibited us from purchasing wine from out of state retailers (although, strangely, in state retailers can still ship out of state).

Disparate treatment in interstate commerce. That's a slam dunk. In this case, I would START by taking 'em to court.
no avatar
User

Marc S

Rank

Just got here

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Chicago, IL

Re: IL Wine Drinkers - Fight back against Unfair Shipping Laws

by Marc S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marc S wrote: a law was passed that prohibited us from purchasing wine from out of state retailers (although, strangely, in state retailers can still ship out of state).

Disparate treatment in interstate commerce. That's a slam dunk. In this case, I would START by taking 'em to court.

Yup. We've watched courts around the country make that precedent, most recently in the Ganholm vs. Michigan decision. It's a slow process through the judicial system, and if we can also back it up with legislation, all the better!

-Marc

Marc Stubblefield
Website - Illinois Wine Consumer Coalition
Twitter - ILWineConsumers
Facebook - Illinois Wine Consumers Coalition
Open Wine Consortium - Illinois Wine Consumers Coalition
Email - info@illinoiswineconsumers.org