The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Claude Courtois Biodynamic Red w/o SO2 & 2 Riojas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Claude Courtois Biodynamic Red w/o SO2 & 2 Riojas

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 am

2005 Les Cailloux du Paradis Racines Romorantin (Loire) 12.5%
My first wine from the controversial Claude Courtois, who farms biodynamically and adds no SO2 to his wines. His website does not specify the blend, but the varietals grown on this soil include gamay, cabernet-franc, côt, and cabernet-sauvignon, some on original (ungrafted) rootstock. Maceration is “long” and the wine spends up to 18 months in (old) wood before release. Aromas of strawberry and herbs, reminiscent of some young bourgognes or cru Beaujolais, but in the mouth it tastes more like cab franc because of the characteristic (to me) green twig note. Also quite peppery, reminiscent of syrah, though no syrah is supposedly present, so probably côt. Good acidity and sufficient (light) tannins for astringency and grip. Fresh and vibrant fruit, a pleasure to drink, but not especially memorable. Feels like a composite experience – gamay/young pinot meets cab franc meets syrah pepperiness - but hard to see reason for controversy.

2002 Conde de Valdemar Rioja Reserva 13.5%
Brought by a friend. Raspberry jam and chocolate aromas, reasonable balance between acidity and sweetness, quite tannic, but with short finish and that taste of American oak vanilla which I consistently don’t like. A bit fat in the end. Definitely not my taste.

2004 Conde de Valdemar Crianza 13.5%
Brought by the same friend. Liked this much better that the Reserva. Attractive sweet cherry aromas followed by delicious freshness and balance in the mouth. No faults, everything just right and very pleasurable. Not complex, but fulfils its mission much more successfully that its sibling. Reminds me of how basic malbecs often come through much more successfully than heavily oaked reserva malbecs.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs: Claude Courtois Biodynamic Red w/o SO2 & 2 Riojas

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2005 Les Cailloux du Paradis Racines Romorantin (Loire) 12.5%
varietals grown on this soil include gamay, cabernet-franc, côt, and cabernet-sauvignon,
///romas of strawberry and herbs, reminiscent of some young bourgognes or cru Beaujolais, but in the mouth it tastes more like cab franc because of the characteristic (to me) green twig note. Also quite peppery, reminiscent of syrah, though no syrah is supposedly present, so probably côt. Good acidity and sufficient (light) tannins for astringency and grip..

I'm confused. Is this Romorantin? That's a white grape?!?!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:07 am

Or at least a grape that I've only seen used for whites. I guess it could be a red skinned grape that isn't usually macerated.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:23 am

Dale Williams wrote:Or at least a grape that I've only seen used for whites. I guess it could be a red skinned grape that isn't usually macerated.

It's also a village - I understood this to be the closest village to where he is located... Perhaps it's a mistake and should read Sologne.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Perhaps it's a mistake and should read Sologne.

So the label actually says Romorantin? I guess the operation is really not the slickest.

As far as the controversy, to my understanding it doesn't necessarily apply to every wine. Rather, the debate is whether or not the amount of spoiled bottles justify continued purchases. Fans find the highs to be worth the chase. I have found some of the wines pleasant, but nothing so exciting to justify wading through endless bottles of sour urine (which is what a string of the white wines tasted like).
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Perhaps it's a mistake and should read Sologne.

So the label actually says Romorantin? I guess the operation is really not the slickest.

As far as the controversy, to my understanding it doesn't necessarily apply to every wine. Rather, the debate is whether or not the amount of spoiled bottles justify continued purchases. Fans find the highs to be worth the chase. I have found some of the wines pleasant, but nothing so exciting to justify wading through endless bottles of sour urine (which is what a string of the white wines tasted like).

I also picked up a bottle of the Quartz Sauvignon Blanc, and will be opening that sooner rather than later to see if I get cat pee or sour urine... :roll:

The label says very little, not even the vintage or the alcohol level, so thinking the region is called Romorantin was likely a mistake based on misreadings of where they are located. I'd go back and change it to Sologne, but that would make Dale's two posts not making sense.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I also picked up a bottle of the Quartz Sauvignon Blanc, and will be opening that sooner rather than later to see if I get cat pee or sour urine... :roll:.

Aha. I will be interested to hear what you think.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I'd go back and change it to Sologne, but that would make Dale's two posts not making sense.

And that would differ from my other posts....how? :)

Feel free to change
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 am

I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romorantin-Lanthenay

Good to know!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:I'd go back and change it to Sologne, but that would make Dale's two posts not making sense.

And that would differ from my other posts....how? :)

Feel free to change

I meant your two responses to my post would not make sense any more if I went back and changed Romorantin to Sologne!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romorantin-Lanthenay

Also found this:

ROMORANTIN-LANTHENAY, 67km due south of Orléans, is the biggest town in the Sologne and best visited in the last weekend in October for the Journées Gastronomiques, a major food festival when every restaurant and hundreds of street stalls tempt you with traditional and novel dishes centred on game, wild mushrooms, apples and pumpkins. The rest of the year the only sight of interest is the Musée de Sologne, in the old mills in the centre of Romorantin, which presents the history, ecology and traditions of the area.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
I'm confused. Is this Romorantin? That's a white grape?!?!

Romorantin is definitely a white grape. The wine from Henri Marionnet which I have picked for dinner tonight says "Cépage Romorantin", ungrafted specimens to boot; I knew nothing about this variety until just now. Here is a link, in French only, which says a bit about the grape http://lescepages.free.fr/romorantin.html . How Courtois can make red from it is a mystery, so I agree with others that he must be referring to the nearest locality of any size, Romorantin-Lanthenay. Confusing though.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Reminds me of how basic malbecs often come through much more successfully than heavily oaked reserva malbecs.

Couldn't agree more.

Drew