The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dehlinger Syrah RRV '95...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Dehlinger Syrah RRV '95...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm

We tried this last night w/ dinner:
1. Dehlinger Syrah RRV (EB; 14.5%) 1995: Dark color w/ very slight bricking; rather pungent/toasty/smokey some blackberry/earthy/Syrah bit Pinotish slight metallic/ozone/funky rather complex nose; tart pungent/smokey some toasty/oak slight funky/brett some blackberry/Syrah bit dried out some complex flavor; long somewhat smokey/pungent/oak light blackberry/Syrah slight tannic/astringent/dried out finish; speaks more of Dehlinger red than Syrah; drying out a bit and slightly funky but still hanging in there and interesting to drink. $32.50
1. TomDehlinger as been laboring in the Syrah fields for a fair number of yrs. He don't seem to get a whole lot of recognition for his Syrahs among many of the cognescenti. They are one of my very favorite Syrahs out there. They usually speak of a Syrah made by a Pinot producer...specifically...a Syrah made by TomDehlinger. His winemaking style is firmly stamped upon them and is another interesting rendition of Syrah. Of course, those who worship at the altar of terrior would find his Syrahs unacceptable because they speak mostly of Dehlinger winemaking rather than terroir. Their loss, my gain.
Tom
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Dehlinger Syrah RRV '95...(short/boring)

by Salil » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks Tom. I need to hunt down some Dehlinger Syrah - from the notes I've read online I get the impression that I'd love it, especially if the lone Dehlinger wine I've had - his '95 Bordeaux Blend which I opened a few months back (and found absolutely stunning) - is an indicator of what the rest of his reds are like.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

LotsaLuck...

by TomHill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Thanks Tom. I need to hunt down some Dehlinger Syrah - from the notes I've read online I get the impression that I'd love it, especially if the lone Dehlinger wine I've had - his '95 Bordeaux Blend which I opened a few months back (and found absolutely stunning) - is an indicator of what the rest of his reds are like.

Salil,
The Dehlingers are pretty hard to find. Most of his wine is sold on his mailing list and not much gets out to retail. Much like Carlisle, his wines, across the board, are very/very good and reasonably priced. Best avenue to get any Dehlinger is to find someone on the mailing list and take their leftovers or swap something for one.
Tom