The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud Viña

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud Viña

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:35 pm

2005 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud Viñas Viejas - Spain, Aragón, Calatayud (1/18/2009)

Decanted for ~1 hour.

Concentrated, full bodied and somewhat confected. Simple and uninteresting. Noticeable oak treatment. Ponderous and awkward on the palate. Probably is a great cocktail wine that would be a crowd pleaser, but not at all food friendly. Not a style that I enjoy. A couple of glasses left to try on day 2.

Next Day:

Much less confected but the tannins firmly in control now. Still not a wine I will seek out in the future.

Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud Viña

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:38 pm

I've tried it in the past (when it was originally hyped), and had about the same reaction.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Same here.

Tried it when some folks first started raving about it. Vaguely remember somebody...Parker?...talking it up.

First time, just what you said, confected.

Second and third time, contrived, pumped up, overstretched, trying to make far too big a wine out of what it was. Which is easily doable with grenache.

For all its admirable traits, it's easy to overcrop grenache. Then it makes glossy, but empty wine. Like you said, confected.

So I stopped trying.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Hoke wrote:Same here.

Tried it when some folks first started raving about it. Vaguely remember somebody...Parker?...talking it up.

Second and third time, contrived, pumped up, overstretched, trying to make far too big a wine out of what it was. Which is easily doable with grenache.

For all its admirable traits, it's easy to overcrop grenache. Then it makes glossy, but empty wine. Like you said, confected.

So I stopped trying.

Same here too. Had one vintage on the Grill wine-list 2 yrs back and found bottle variation problems.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:25 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Hoke wrote:Same here.

So I stopped trying.

Bob,
Were/are there bottle variation with the V.V. version? I had heard issues with the regular bottling, but was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that the V.V. was not as viariable.
Thanks.
Bill

Same here too. Had one vintage on the Grill wine-list 2 yrs back and found bottle variation problems.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:21 pm

This wine is the top of my list of wines that I suspect Parker gets a "special" taste of when he's doing his notes. Either that or it has some element to it that he loves, because he always scores it very very high and I've tried a few vintages and get nothing from it at all. Cellartracker shows that few of it's tasters get much out of it either.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Count me as another non fan (of the regular or VV)

But for those that like it, it's the current wine on Winestilsoldout.com, $12.99 w/free shipping for 4.