The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another Breton and a cheap White Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Another Breton and a cheap White Bordeaux

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm

2004 Chateau Paradise Casseuil Bordeaux.
Semillon 60%, Muscadelle 20% and Sauvignon 20%.
Barons de Rotschilde
Semillon 60%, Muscadelle 20% and Sauvignon 20%.
Cheap!

This is a delicious white wine, with vibrant citrus fruit flavors, plenty of acidity, good mouthfeel, and a whisper (not a roar) of oak. Very fresh and flavorful. Considering the $15 price point and the sheer liveliness of this wine, I might rate this 90 points.

2005 C&P Breton Bourgeouil "Clos Senechal"
Loire Valley
Cab Franc
$28 or so.

Continues to show that wonderful funky-mushroomy-earthy-slightly bretty Breton nose. Palate shows some tannins. The funk adds some richness to a wine whose fruit and mouthfeel is quite a bit more austere and leaner than the previous examples, but still nice. Very restrained currant fruit with the bell pepper appearing a bit on the finish. We all debated aging this wine. The tannins are a bit drying right now, but would the funkyness take over too much if the fruit fades? Still...enjoyable and 89 points.

2005 "Vitus" Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon.

Stellar example of Napa Cab. Not made by an industry veteran?, so maybe that is why it avoids the oak soup/blackberry milkshake problem. Very "cab-y" in character with a quite striking but pleasant herbaceous bottom to the black cherry and currant fruit. Good acidity and structure, too. I have been able to enjoy this wine over the past few weeks thanks to the generosity of friends and fellow wine-geeks, and it is consistently showing well, so...93 points+
Last edited by Brian K Miller on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Another Breton and a cheap White Burgundy

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2005 C&P Breton Bourgeouil "Clos Senechal"
We all debated aging this wine.

You should. It is probably shut down right now and not showing much of its charms. I had some 05 Bretons this summer that seemed to be closing up, although I haven't retasted recently.

In general, 05 is solid and Senechal is worthy of age. Brett is a problem from time to time, although there seems to be a good amount of variability. I (and others) have reported several bad/bretty experiences with the 02 Senechal but others have glorious pristine bottles. So..
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks for the notes, Brian. I'm a little confused by the title...did you mean a cheap white Bordeaux, or did you accidentally leave out a wine/description? I assume it was just a typo in the title, just want to make sure I didn't miss something (because I'd certainly love to hear about a cheap white Burgundy if it was any good!).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Eek. My bad.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:2005 C&P Breton Bourgeouil "Clos Senechal"
We all debated aging this wine.

You should. It is probably shut down right now and not showing much of its charms. I had some 05 Bretons this summer that seemed to be closing up, although I haven't retasted recently.

In general, 05 is solid and Senechal is worthy of age. Brett is a problem from time to time, although there seems to be a good amount of variability. I (and others) have reported several bad/bretty experiences with the 02 Senechal but others have glorious pristine bottles. So..

Thanks, Rahsaan. I guess I don't think about Loire Cab Franc closing down. It was definitely leaner than the 2006 and 2007 bottlings at Terroir.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I guess I don't think about Loire Cab Franc closing down. It was definitely leaner than the 2006 and 2007 bottlings at Terroir.

It's cabernet!

I'm no expert but there should be something in the future of this Senechal. 2005 was a very balanced and sturdy year.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:I guess I don't think about Loire Cab Franc closing down. It was definitely leaner than the 2006 and 2007 bottlings at Terroir.

It's cabernet!

I'm no expert but there should be something in the future of this Senechal. 2005 was a very balanced and sturdy year.

Just to echo Rahsaan here, I recently opened the '02 Clos Senechal and it was glorious and still young (and one of the not-Bretty examples) I think that you should revisit the '05 in another 5-10 years and you'll probably have a much better experience (unless it's a Brett bomb).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

Re: WTN: Another Breton and a cheap White Bordeaux

by Brian K Miller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I am a big new fan of Breton, as I've made clear, so it's good to hear more experienced tasters. And, I still enjoyed this bottle quite a bit (although more on the nose than the palate) So...even with my severe slowdown on buying, I will pick up more slowly over time.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

Re: WTN: Another Breton and a cheap White Bordeaux

by Steve Guattery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm

We opened a bottle of the 2002 Clos Senechal back in November. I haven't been keeping detailed notes lately, but that bottle was not one of the bretty ones. It was a little on the young side, but I did note that it was showing very well at the time.