The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 pm

With leftover pork and mushrooms, the 2007 Vissoux /Chermette "Cuvee Traditionnelle" Beaujolais is quite a lovely bottle of Gamay. Sprightly, a pleasant herbal topnote, clean and fresh red berry fruit. Some smoky notes appear with time, holds up well overnight, will get more. B+

Tasted over several days, the 2005 Belliviere "Eparses" Coteaux du Loir VV. Very sweet, I was expecting sec-tendre/demi-sec and this is more approaching Moelleux to me, cidery apple notes with a dose of honied apricots. Not what I expected, but even after I adjust expectations doesn't appeal. Seems flat and one-dimensional. I know others have liked much more, but somehow Belliviere is often a little disappointing to me (of course, then every once in a while they hit one out of the park). C+/B-

Betsy made a quickie bouillabaisse, I thought rose, other than some Heredia all I found was the 2007 Terres Dorees/Brun "Brun d'Folie" Beaujolais. Raspberries and red currant, lively acidity, fresh and a good counter to the stew. Light and easy, why not drink rose in winter? B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Dale Williams wrote:With leftover pork and mushrooms, the 2007 Vissoux /Chermette "Cuvee Traditionnelle" Beaujolais is quite a lovely bottle of Gamay. Sprightly, a pleasant herbal topnote, clean and fresh red berry fruit. Some smoky notes appear with time, holds up well overnight, will get more. B+

Good to hear, will pick up some at CSW when next in town...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

Re: WTN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire

by Steve Guattery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Tasted over several days, the 2005 Belliviere "Eparses" Coteaux du Loir VV. Very sweet, I was expecting sec-tendre/demi-sec and this is more approaching Moelleux to me...

Interesting. I found the 2005 Bellivière L'Effraie Coteaux du Loir to be cloying. I really liked the 2004, which had enough acidity to offset any residual sugar.