The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN's: Vin Jaune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN's: Vin Jaune

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 am

A couple of weeks back, Joe and Amy Perry had 5 of us over for a wonderful meal prepared by Joe to accompany some fine bottles of Vin Jaune. I’ve wanted to try these wines from the Jura for some time now and was really excited to have this opportunity to try several of them at once to begin to get a handle on whether I would like their unusual oxidized style. As I hope the notes convey, my reaction was one of intense intellectual intrigue and for the most part fine tasting pleasure.

2005 Domaine de Montbourgeau L’Etoile. Before we went off on the wild side, we started on the mild side. The nose here is a bit quiet, with scents of crisp minerals, limestone chalk, daffodils and only faint oxidative notes. On the palate, it displays a certain lushness down the middle, with crisply-defined edges and an airy sort of after-taste. The fruit is rounded and goes down real easy, with decent length. It is a nice introduction, but in retrospect only hints at the unique nature of the other wines on the table.

2000 Domaine de Montbourgeau L’Etoile Cuvee Speciale. Wow, this ratchets things up several notches in just about every way. The nose features a panoply of wild aromas ranging from oily walnuts and pounded beef jerky to chalky limestone, dried sea salt, mineral spirits and latex. I’m sure this sounds odd but it is actually both entrancingly complex and decidedly inviting. In the mouth, the very first thing that unwaveringly comes to my mind is rich lobster bisque, complete with a dollop of sherry. At times, I am also reminded of thin-sliced roast beef au jus. Obviously, that salty/savory, surf ‘n turf dynamic is a big part of what this wine is about. At the same time, a starburst of acidity lends an absolute electric feel to the wine that simply never wavers. One of the fascinating aspects about the wine is that it almost seems to act like an aerosol spray—with the most intense concentration of flavor coming as the wine evaporates off the tongue after swallowing. It is there that the lovely nutty notes come out most strongly, along with flavors of caramel, marzipan, Montelimar nougat, vanilla bean and peanut brittle. The texture is oily, but the wine is barely medium-bodied. It finishes quite dry, with all that great inner perfume lasting a good long while. Needless to say, I very much dig this wine on a variety of levels.

1998 Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune. This Vin Jaune offering is a bit mellower and perhaps more refined on the nose than many of the others this night. It features lots of fresh garden herbs, limestone and warm pecan aromas, along with something reminiscent of a knife-sharpening stone and oil. It really fans out on the palate, touching all the corners of the mouth and delivering its flavors directly and forcefully. It is beautifully layered and open, with less obviously crisp contours than most. It delivers plenty of flavors along the lines of waxy yellow fruit, lime peel, botanical herbs, ash-covered rind and sea salt. It finishes very well-balanced, featuring interesting macadamia and beeswax flavors that linger.

1999 Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune. The bouquet on the '99 Puffeney seems to have less of the nutty overtones exhibited by the '98 and instead veers more toward exotic and complex notes of apricot pit, wet chalk dust, lemon/lime zest, black Necco wafer, browning canteloupe rind and old brass. It comes across as generally more concentrated than the '98, with a rich feel up front that turns more restrained through the mid-palate. The flavors are not quite as immediate as the '98, nor do they fan out quite the same way. Instead, it only slowly unfolds and never really shows all it will have to offer in the future. Although it seems creamy, there is a marked tingly feel around the edges of the tongue throughout and there is soft but persistent acidity that is a constant companion. It is certainly more structured than its relatively open-knit older brother and it perhaps exhibits better overall balance. The finish is absolutely mouthwatering, though later in the evening it turns drier. I preferred the '98's more giving nature, but this seems destined to be the longer-lived of the duo.

1999 Frederic Lornet Arbois Vin Jaune. Wow, this opens up as an intense, angry and almost violent wine—sort of burning the nostrils with alcohol paint thinner and glue notes riding atop rotting fruit compost early on. Eventually, though, that all begins to recede, allowing much friendlier aromas like warm caramel, vanilla bean, roasted nuts, juniper berry, rock candy and pineapple rind to filter in. In the mouth, it is thankfully a lot easier to like. The initial attack is rather vibrant and the wine stays exciting throughout. It has fine weight and density married to great verve. Like the ’00 Montbourgeau Cuvee Speciale, I again notice that it delivers much of its most interesting flavors as it evaporates off the tongue on the finish. Flavors of dried pineapple cubes, pink grapefruit, honeyed fig, dark caramel and lemon peel leave a lasting impression.

1997 Château d’Arlay Cotes du Jura Vin Jaune. While I didn’t particularly love the nose of the previous wine, I actually hated the nose of this wine. It smells decidedly medicinal and industrial to me-- with some vinyl paint, car lube, motor oil and plastic aromas that I find truly offensive. It is much cleaner on the palate, where it is rich, round and a bit chewy-textured, but with a nice acidic twang to drive it along. It displays a decidedly more fruit-forward style than the other wines in the line-up. Also, the finish is probably the driest of the set, lending a more austere edge to the back.

1999 Marcel Cabelier Chateau-Chalon. This wine is less obviously oxidized than most and also seems to contain its alcohol content the most easily. It features fine aromas of steeped lemon peel, spun caramel, salty walnuts, brass, wet stones, bitter grapefruit and dried peach pit in perhaps the freshest style of the night. There is a rich vein of salinity running through the palate that makes it very interesting. There is also a nice shot of bright citrus fruit and spiced green apple flavor. Again, it is less obviously oxidized than the other wines, with a spicy, tingly and fresh finish that is layered and wonderfully refreshing. This is a truly great food wine and one of my favorites of the entire tasting.

On the whole, these have to be some of the wildest tasting notes I can ever recall writing. But I have to say that I was totally taken aback by the singular character of these wines and found myself drawn to them in a way I never expected. Now I just have to get my hands on some bottles that have been aged like 40 years to see what THAT fuss is all about…

We ended the evening with some wonderful desserts and Joe hit the wine fridge to pull out this inspired choice:

1997 Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ere Trie Clos du Bourg. The bouquet here is lovely and welcoming—with aromas of nectarine, cherry pit, quince paste, kiwi and soft graphite that turn just a bit sweeter with air time. In the mouth, it is gently sweet and round-edged, with fine levels of tangy acidity. This is certainly is a wine of fine elegance, balance and restraint. The sugar is “just there” as a well-integrated component. I could really drink a lot of this, but it seems to disappear awfully quick!

-Michael
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN's: Vin Jaune

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:59 am

Michael Malinoski wrote:Montelimar nougat

Talk about a specific descriptor!

These wines have a way of provoking detailed tasting notes..
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:02 am

It has been 10 years since I was there and something about this wine transported me directly back... Like you say, the associative power of these wines is rather striking!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:23 am

Michael Malinoski wrote:On the whole, these have to be some of the wildest tasting notes I can ever recall writing. But I have to say that I was totally taken aback by the singular character of these wines and found myself drawn to them in a way I never expected.

Indeed. A fantastic set of notes, kudos. Did you have any food with the selections of vin jaune?
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:41 am

Keith, we started with some aged Comte cheese, naturally. For dinner, we had some delicious ravioli Joe made with chicken liver, parsnip, sage and mushrooms as a starter and a big pot of coq au vin jaune with potatoes for the main course. These wines really shine best with food, for certain.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:59 am

What wonderful notes! These are wines I very much "want" to like, but have had some difficulty navigating the oxidative aspect. But your notes also made me realize that when a reference is extremely specific, it may provide greater mnemonic recall to the note writer but risks losing the reader who has not had that specific experience, a likelihood that increases the more specific it becomes. Even more than Montelimar nougat, the other one whose specificity was such that it lost me was black Necco wafer! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Oswaldo, you bring up a very good point. I really struggled for a while to try and find a common vocabulary to describe these wine in my notes. They are so unique and conjure up so many unexpected reactions that one almost has to default to these sort of personal mnemonic associations! The wines just seem to do that!

As for the Necco wafer reference, the factory was right up the road from my apartment for many years, and I also grew up on the candies. The black ones are sort of a confectionary licorice, if that helps at all!

http://www.necco.com/OurBrands/Default.asp

Michael
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks for these evocative notes.

I have loved most of the Vins Jaunes which have come my way and have a handful of bottles in my cellar. The main difficulty is pairing with food. With specifically Jurassien recipes, it can be superb, e.g. poulet au vin jaune et aux morilles, but it is far from being a general purpose white and I rarely eat dishes like that, which in any case mean using about a quarter + of a bottle of expensive vin jaune.

Has anyone got any other ideas for pairings?

Wink, are you reading this?
Tim York
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for your notes!

Within this type of wine, I have had the 2000 Domaine de Montbourgeau L’Etoile, a 1996 Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune and 2004 Jean Mâcle Côtes du Jura. I was enchanted with each of them. Your descriptions are wonderful and evocative, these wines truly call for a distinct approach to tasting and appreciation, but the result can be world-class enjoyment and experience!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:58 am

So where can one find Vins Jaunes in the southern New Hampshire/Massachusetts area?

I have yet to see anything from this region in New Hampshire, regrettably.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:21 am

Hi Paul,

I believe Joe purchased several of the Vin Jaunes from SAQ outlets in Canada. I know one of the Puffeneys came from the cheese shop, Formaggio Kitchen, in Cambridge, MA. And the Montbourgeau (at least the 2000 Cuvee Speciale) came from Vintages in West Concord, MA.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you find any other convenient outlets!

Michael