The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Australian Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Australian Riesling

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Last night Betsy made a chicken dish with lentils on top of green salad, I chose the 2006 Mt Langi Ghiran Riesling (Victoria) despite the fact I knew tonight we were opening many Rieslings in honor of Salil's visit.
Quite a nice wine, actually. Granny smith apples squirted with lime juice, vibrant acidity, just the tiniest hint of RS -drier than most halbtrocken. Nice length for an under-$20 bottle of Riesling, I wouldn't mind buying again. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Australian Riesling

by Salil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:07 am

Nice - Mount Langi's one of my favourite producers in Aus. As I mentioned yesterday I think their Shiraz is really their strong spot (particularly with about 10+ years of age on it), but I quite like their Rieslings for value and consistency. Have had a few vintages of these and they seem to develop quite nicely over a few years (I had the 03 a month or two ago which was a really interesting wine with some almond/toast/petrol flavours starting to emerge and still a ton of bright fruit and acid).