The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Castagna Genesis Syrah 1999, Beechworth Aus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

WTN: Castagna Genesis Syrah 1999, Beechworth Aus

by Andrew Burge » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Castagna are one of the new wave Syrah producers in a relatively new region in Beechworth in Victoria. he region isn't really new, Brown Bors have been buying grapes from there for more than 30 years, but there s now a growing movement for boutique producers to set up shop there. Giaconda is perhaps the most revered, but Savaterre, Battaley, Castagna and others are worth paying attention to.

The current vintage is the 05 and isnt cheap at $A75, but it is very, very good. Its mainly Shiraz, with just a spoonful of Viognier included. A northern Rhone recipe but in my mind a distinctly Australian outcome. Younger vintages can be intensely mentholly, white pepper and berry like.

I opened the 99 to get an appreaciation of how these wines age. At 10 years old I think its in its prime, and wouldnt wait much longer to drink the rest. Its still very dark and primary coloured. It opens a bit lean and mean, but some airtime sees this change as the nose rounds out to inlcludes nappa leather and white pepper, with perhaps some plum and that "purple jelly" smell. The palate is nicely integrated now, slightly cedary, tobacco leaf, cigar box, over some lush blueberry, blackcurrant and plum fruit. The acids are a bit angular and out of kilter on the back palate, and the tannins are plentiful and a touch muddy. Perhaps this is starting to dry out a little, but the flavour profile is still delightful.

I don't know if this is exported, but thought it worth sharing as an example of what Australia can do on the non- "gobs of hedonistic fruit" style. Its one of only four Australian Shiraz I buy every year.

Cheers

Andrew
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Castagna Genesis Syrah 1999, Beechworth Aus

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Andrew, you are probably not aware that Syrah is the focus of Wine Focus this month. It would be great if your could repost your Syrah from Oz there. Thanks for this post anyway.
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 pm

:oops:

Thanks Carl, I'll repost,
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:58 am

Andrew, hopefully we might see some of these boutique wines here in W Canada? There are some enterprising reps bringing in some good wines right now.
My search today for cool-climate reds did not over-excite this savvy shopper! Vasse Felix must be between vintages although I did find an Adams Rd chardonnay. Never tried before, any insight?
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:13 am

I don't know Adams Road Bob, do you have any more info?

The 05 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon is very well regarded in most circles in Australia. I've enjoyed earlier vintages of this as well, and I think I still have some 99 Cab and Heytesbury, and also some 01 Heytesbury.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Adams Road is their second label, or maybe for export only?
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Andrew Burge wrote:I don't know Adams Road Bob, do you have any more info?

The 05 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon is very well regarded in most circles in Australia. I've enjoyed earlier vintages of this as well, and I think I still have some 99 Cab and Heytesbury, and also some 01 Heytesbury.

Andrew I also have just 3 of the 01 Heytesbury so I am being very miserly in openng them. Have you tried any yet? If not when are you thinking of opening your first one. By the way if Castagna is one of the four shiraz you collect, what are the other 3?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 am

Aah, Didnt know that. I was sure I'd heard of Adams Road before but couldnt find it. I wondered if it was a Cellarmasters label (a large wine club run by Fosters, to which a number of wineries contribute specially named labels).

The other three Aus shiraz I buy are Clonakilla, Seppelt (just the St Peters) and Rockford. Plus sparkling shiraz.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 am

Yep pretty much the same verticals I am running althou I am less religious around the Rockford. Also using Neval's sad sell off to plug a few gaps. Now if I only had a spare 200k, I would be a very happy man.
Miss dhem Saints.