The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bees' knees

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Bees' knees

by Keith M » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 am

2007 Domaine Spiropoulos Mantinia [Moschofilero] (Mantinia OPAP, Peloponnisos, southwestern Greece) cork closure, 12% - imported to USA by Athenee Importers and Distributors, Hempstead, New York – my first Moschofilero – appears light silvery green, reflective, smell rainwater, pavement, floral, taste stony acid upfront, vibrant earthy/volcanic, very slight unsweet mango and rubber, at first this wine is just rocky, rough fun and something I suspect might be offputting to those that prefer fruitier or softer wines, but this wine opens up a lot after an hour or so of exposure to air and would likely win many more fans, as the vibrancy of spice and delicacy of rocks become deliciously refreshing, perfect, and I mean perfect match for olives as I was preparing some kale to go with the olives, the second and third day provided the greatest pleasure, this is sturdy stuff, great wine for salty food, delicious wine for $19.

2007 Enologia Temera Ribeira Sacra Alodio [Mencía] (Ribeira Sacra DO, Galicia, northwestern Spain) cork closure, 13% - imported to USA by Jose Pastor Selection/Vinos & Gourmet, Richmond, California - 6 months in barrels of acacia, French oak, and cherrywood (according to the producer, barrels were typically made from these until the 1930s) – smell cherry blossoms, nail polish remover at first, wears off after half hour or so, nose reminds me strongly of bees, due to initial impression this was deliciously like sniffing glue (not that that is part of my past), taste is light, delicate, and crisp, good acid (not noticeable but there) but tender, oh so tender, delicious layers, this wine is like kissing velvet, bees return to buzz on finish, unique and softer and more subtle on day two, delicious on its own, very well with some carrot and parsnip ravioli, for less than $16, this wine was a find, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up more