The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Franco Biondi-Santi Proposes changes to R di M!?!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Franco Biondi-Santi Proposes changes to R di M!?!

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Hoke wrote:I'm not insensitive or dismissive of some people's concerns that a screwcap may actually be too good at what it does, and close of the wine from any oxygen ingress, and that aged red wine as we know it now depends on that paradigm to become what we expect it to become. Hence my pointing out to you the new permeability aspect of screw caps.

I would far rather have a screwcap closing my precious bottle, thereby allowing controlled oxygen exposure, instead of a cork, which is at the very best a hit or miss proposition for such a wine. Simply put, the screwcap appears to be the better and more efficient closure for doing what it is supposed to do without egregious flaw, taint or outright failure.

And your subsequent response to Oswaldo's question has elicited just the response I wanted too, so I have no further questions of you at this time. You may leave the inquisition chamber. :D That's because you science guys inevitably yield to logic. 8) (Or at least like to believe you do.)

Hoke,

that's my question; if, as appears to be the case, screwcaps can be made with variable oxygen transmission built into the cap liner, what would be the remaining objection? Other than the fetish of cork, as Randall Grahm describes it?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Shocking thread drift guys :lol:
... and if you think I'll join in another closure debate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Shocking thread drift guys :lol:
... and if you think I'll join in another closure debate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What, you want cloture on closure??? :D
no avatar
User

Kerry Gardner

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:52 pm

by Kerry Gardner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm

I have read a number of recent articles and books arguing the pros and cons of cork or Stelvin. The idea of allowinfg oxygen to slowly creap into the bottle via the cork is a touchy subject. Personally, I dopnt ever want any oxygen to get into my wine. I believe this a horrible idea about "ageing". I was underthe impression that when a wine ages, the tannins and acids soften due the passage of time. Chemically speaking, oxidation is an all-around bad idea. I support screw caps, and I believe, with time we will see much more of this. If Screaming Eagle or Plumjack aren't scared of Stelvin enclosure, why not? It's natural to respect tradition and corks are romantic but,TCA and oxidation can ruin any wine no matter what the cost.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:... If Biondi-Santi, for 120 years the most uncompromising bearer of tradition in its wines, gives in to international appeal, then I fear the soul of Brunello will be lost.

Ryan
I share your fears about the potential loss of something special.
As for the rest of the thread -- it is enormous fun! :lol:
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 pm

The idea of allowinfg oxygen to slowly creap into the bottle via the cork is a touchy subject. Personally, I dopnt ever want any oxygen to get into my wine. I believe this a horrible idea about "ageing". I was underthe impression that when a wine ages, the tannins and acids soften due the passage of time. Chemically speaking, oxidation is an all-around bad idea.

Kerry, up until now what you described is exactly and precisely what consitutes the standard model for aging/maturing/developing wines. So not only are you talking changing the closure, you are suggesting changing the very nature of aged wine as we know it.

Chemically speaking, oxidation may be an all-around bad idea, but it is a well-known and highly prized effect on wine---in the right context. I don't know enough about you to know what your own drinking tastes and patterns are, but I dare say many of the wines you drink may well have gotten the way you like them through natural, or unnatural, exposure to oxygen and oxidation. And I'm not talking about sherry and the ilk here, but many, many wines.

Oxidation is bad if uncontrolled , yes, okay. But to simply say oxidation is an all-around bad idea for wine? I don't think that's a bold statement anyone can make.

I'm as eager an advocate for increasing the use of screwcap closures (or whatever is best and most efficient at doing the closure job), but even I am not ready to set the entire model of wine on its side. :D

I do believe that, with time, the increasing use of screwcaps will herald in an era where slow aged wines without uncontrolled oxygen impact will become more common, and perhaps even the preferred style.
Previous