The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ojai BemjaminLorenzo PinotNoir '95...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ojai BemjaminLorenzo PinotNoir '95...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 am

Cracked this last night w/ my braised shortribs:
1. OjaiVnyd BenjaminLorenzo PinotNoir BienNacidoVnyd/SBCnty (13%; Art by m.k.) 1995: Very dark rather murky/cloudy some browning color; beautiful cedary/pencilly/pungent/smokey some spicy/black cherry/black cherry cola/Pinot slight earthy/charred forest complex nose; tart slight frizzante/tingly very pencilly/cedary/smokey/pungent strong blackberry/black cherry cola/RCCola/DrPepper/spicy bit hard/tannic complex flavor; very long/lingering slight funky/earthy smokey/pungent/toasty/pencilly/cedary/oak rather black cherry cola/RCCola bit hard/tannic complex finish; a wonderful old Calif PN that's probably starting its downhill slide. $38.00
This wine was a powerful/extracted Pinot in its youth. Sometimes those wines never come together well. This is one that has done well. It would never be mistaken for a Burgundy. This is how they'd make Pinot in Burgundy if they could.
This btl was stored neck down for all its life. I stood it upright over a week ago. When I opened it, there was this small disk of black/slimey stuff adhering to the end of the cork. As I decanted the wine, there was this big wad of black slimey stuff that spurted out into the decanter and much of the coating adhering to the inside of the neck swirled out as I continued decanting. At the bottom of the btl was probably a quarter cup of dark/murky sediment that stayed behind. Anyway, the wine was pretty murkey in color from all the "stuff" that evaded decanting. Which may have accounted for the somewhat tannic bite it had.
Tom
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Ojai BemjaminLorenzo PinotNoir '95...(short/boring)

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 am

TomHill wrote:This is how they'd make Pinot in Burgundy if they could.

Source? :twisted:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: WTN: Ojai BemjaminLorenzo PinotNoir '95...(short/boring)

by Bernard Roth » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:55 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
TomHill wrote:This is how they'd make Pinot in Burgundy if they could.

Source? :twisted:

Don't bother. The wine suffered secondary fermentation in bottle.
Regards,
Bernard Roth