The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Ridge Geyserville

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1999 Ridge Geyserville

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 pm

1999 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (2/8/2009)

Decanted off some sediment.

Primarily a muted red fruit profile with coconut/toasty oak aromas. Straight forward with not a lot of complexity and a bit short on structure. OK wine, but not the most stunning Geyserville I've ever tasted. Last tasted this 2 years ago and essentially had the same impressions. I thought some additional time in the cellar might help, but now I really don't see much of an upside here, and will drink up my remaining bottles by the end of 2009. Expectations have been lowered.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 1999 Ridge Geyserville

by JC (NC) » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Interesting. I haven't had the 1999 vintage but a couple of us on another forum were impressed with the 2000 Geyserville.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Redwinger wrote:1999 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (2/8/2009)

Decanted off some sediment.

Primarily a muted red fruit profile with coconut/toasty oak aromas. Straight forward with not a lot of complexity and a bit short on structure. OK wine, but not the most stunning Geyserville I've ever tasted. Last tasted this 2 years ago and essentially had the same impressions. I thought some additional time in the cellar might help, but now I really don't see much of an upside here, and will drink up my remaining bottles by the end of 2009. Expectations have been lowered.

Coincidentally, last night I opened an '00 Lytton Springs with much the same reaction. Looking back at my notes, I found this that I'd written about the '99 Geezer last June:

1999 Ridge Geyserville
nose: oak, berries, minerals
palate: soft, slightly oaky, Zin berry fruit

Not as impressive as most of my previous Geyserville experiences have been. Is it different or am I? This wine had less structure than I expect from a Ridge "Zin" but did have the rich, fruity character that I expect, especially from Geyserville. Still a fine wine, and surprisingly good with the paella.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Interesting. I haven't had the 1999 vintage but a couple of us on another forum were impressed with the 2000 Geyserville.

JC-
There are a couple of the 2000 Geezers in the pit. Sounds like a good time to try one.
'Winger
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Mark-

Sounds like we were channeling each other on the ' 99 Geezer. Sorry about the 2000 LS, but if it is any consolation, the 1999 Lytton Springs was a delightful bottle of wine when I tasted it last year.

Bill
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks for the note. I have a bottle of the 1999 Geyserville and a few other Lytton Springs and Geyservilles waiting for me when I return to California for good, hopefully this summer. Ironically, while I've lived in the Cupertino area for years, I didn't get into Ridge until I lived in Japan. But haven't seen any in China so far, other than in a nice little cafe in Yangshuo.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

Redwinger wrote:Mark-

Sounds like we were channeling each other on the ' 99 Geezer. Sorry about the 2000 LS, but if it is any consolation, the 1999 Lytton Springs was a delightful bottle of wine when I tasted it last year.

Bill

Resurrection in a bottle, Bill. I'm a believer again! Last night, I revisited the '00 LS from the previous night and it was a completely different wine: tarry, intensely fruity and structured, no mint in sight. Crazy, wacky stuff, but I'm keeping my hands off the rest for another couple of years.

Mark Lipton