The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Biggio Hamina Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Biggio Hamina Syrah

by Marc D » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:16 pm

2007 Biggio Hamina Syrah, Deux Vert Vineyard XX, Yamhill Carlton AVA, Willamette Valley OR

This is from a single barrel of syrah that was co-fermented with 20% Viognier. The Deux Vert vineyard is owned by Patricia and Mike Green and is fairly high up in the hills. It is also the source for Melon grapes and I think some Pinot Blanc as well as Pinot Noir.

The wine was made with whole clusters that were foot stomped, and aged in a new Oregon oak barrel.

The color is translucent and medium ruby. The first whiff is floral, maybe honeysuckle. There is some fruit, young and grapey, and with a touch of sweetness in the nose. As the wine opens it develops more savory flavors. There is a hint of fresh turned earth, and a big black pepper note. In the mouth the wine is bright and juicy. It has the weight and texture closer to a 2007 Cru Beaujolais than any previous US syrah I've tried. There is a tart cranberry, citrus like acidity. The finish is fairly long and complex with more pepper spice and fine grained tannins. There are no obvious vanilla, caramel, toast or other strong oak flavors.

The wine is food friendly. We drank it with some grilled bratwurst and a split pea brown rice miso soup. It went well with both dishes.

The wine is very much a cool climate syrah. There is a bit of sweetness to the fruit that tells of its origin in Oregon, but the high acidity, medium weight, savory mineral elements, and low alcohol of 12% are all a nod towards the Northern Rhone.

It has a screw cap closure.

I enjoyed this very much, and thought it was fairly priced for the quality, at $105 for 3 bottles.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: Biggio Hamina Syrah

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks for the note. I didn't get to try the XX but I really liked the regular bottling.

Jason
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Biggio Hamina Syrah

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 am

Marc, we are tasting Syrah over on Wine Focus this month!!