The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vino 100 stores

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Vino 100 stores

by Jon Peterson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:23 pm

In the little town I live in a Vino 100 store just opened. Apparently this is a chain and our store is number 70. I walked in and very much liked the look of the place. It is also refreshing to see just wine and no hard liquor or cases of beer stacked high. Anyone know anything about these Vino 100 stores or have an particular experience with them?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Vino 100 stores

by Dave R » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Jon,

I have quite a bit of experience with the one that is about 15 minutes from my office. Ours serves wine by the glass as well as beer. They also have a small cooler that contains snacks like cheese and dips. They do not have the facilities to prepare food so they encourage people to bring in their own food to enjoy with their wine and beer.

The staff are all very friendly. They have live music one night per week and schedule theme tasting nights. I probably would not drink 90% of the wines they sell, but they usually have one or two bottles open for tasting that I like and would purchase. The atmospere is very nice and they also have outdoor seating in the summer.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi, Dave and thanks for your post. Our local Vino 100 is so new that all they do is sell and provide a few samples. I expect that they will evolve over time and have some of the events you mentioned like music and such. That actually sounds like a nice touch. I feel as though they have an uphill road however: I conducted wine tastings for some of the local wineries in local liquor stores and most people will have nothing to do with wine. I don't know how many times I've heard: "I jus gitten some beer". Pretty redneck, not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: We'll see what happens. Ideally, I'd like to work there upon my retirement in a year or so.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Hi, Dave and thanks for your post. Our local Vino 100 is so new that all they do is sell and provide a few samples. I expect that they will evolve over time and have some of the events you mentioned like music and such. That actually sounds like a nice touch. I feel as though they have an uphill road however: I conducted wine tastings for some of the local wineries in local liquor stores and most people will have nothing to do with wine. I don't know how many times I've heard: "I jus gitten some beer". Pretty redneck, not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: We'll see what happens. Ideally, I'd like to work there upon my retirement in a year or so.

It's going to be interesting to see if the business model works in different areas, Jon.

I suspect it will be various, and some stores will simply not generate enough revenue to survive.

The Vino 100, as was reported, is based primarily on wine, with some limited food sales. It has a small and relatively tightly controlled inventory list (and I got the feeling there was usually limited local autonomy, and that most wines were the result of deals generated by the parent company and dictated to the stores---not necessarily 'private labels', but let's say "preferred labels" (and the further assumption then being that Vino 100 makes a higher than usual markup on those wines).

Beyond that, naturally, the business model promotes building a local, repetitive customer base by providing "nice people and a nice atmosphere" and making wine friendly and non-threatening. Like you, I question whether that is enough to sustain a store nowadays. If the franchisee/employee is content to work on slim pay and slim profit margins, and with the restrictions given, and is capable of keeping the atmosphere good...hey, it might work.

Based on what I've seen so far, the Vino 100 folks are friendly, but not that wine knowledgeable, and the inventory range was (again, for a wine geek) quickly exhausted and not terribly impressive, featuring mostly safe, sound, reliable wines with very modest prices.

Doubt the store will appeal to most wine geeks though. And in most markets, if you don't have either a wide selection of all beverages, or if wine only then a vast and varied assortment of wines (and thereby a vast and expensive inventory), the paradigm won't work.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Hoke wrote:The Vino 100, as was reported, is based primarily on wine, with some limited food sales. It has a small and relatively tightly controlled inventory list (and I got the feeling there was usually limited local autonomy, and that most wines were the result of deals generated by the parent company and dictated to the stores---not necessarily 'private labels', but let's say "preferred labels" (and the further assumption then being that Vino 100 makes a higher than usual markup on those wines).
[...]
Based on what I've seen so far, the Vino 100 folks are friendly, but not that wine knowledgeable, and the inventory range was (again, for a wine geek) quickly exhausted and not terribly impressive, featuring mostly safe, sound, reliable wines with very modest prices.

Interesting to hear your comments, Hoke. My one encounter with the franchise was in Ormond Beach, FL, a neighbor to Daytona, last June. Here are my impressions from that encounter:

Our first stop was Vino100, one of a nationwide chain of wine retailers/wine bars with the slant of selling 100 different wines for $25 or less. At the tasting bar, we were given the choice of 8 whites and 8 reds. At a glance, I recognized only one producer (Avondale in South Africa). Jean and I settled on two whites, an '06 Pinot Grigio from a producer in a DOC I'd never previously heard of (Lison Pramaggiore) and imported by a firm I'd never heard of and an '06 Grillo from Western Sicily. All the wines by the glass were stored in two Wine Keeper systems and one could get a taste free of charge before ordering a (very generous) glass. Both wines were decent but unremarkable, which seemed to pretty much be the story for this place. A check of their shelves turned up fairly obscure wines and producers.

When I inquired about the business model at the bar, I got the impression that there was some sort of exclusivity arrangement with the importer/distributor. Certainly, few if any of the wines I saw for sale there were familiar to me, and (as you know) I usually can recognize more than a few wines that I see for sale. I wonder just how tight the inventory control by the home office is, given our divergent perceptions of what they sell.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Hoke wrote:
If the franchisee/employee is content to work on slim pay and slim profit margins, and with the restrictions given, and is capable of keeping the atmosphere good...hey, it might work.

Their profit margins are sure not slim at the tasting bar! Same goes for the food items in the cooler. And they have a healthy markup on the bottles of wine they sell off the shelves. Especially if the parent company is able to pass along a volume discount. I'm not sure about the margins on the wine accessories and gifts though.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Mark:

Geez, guy, if you don't know Lison Pramaggiore, I don't know if we can let you in our Arrogant Knowledge of Everything Obscure Club anymore!!! :D

But you say we have divergent opinions on what they sell? Why? I thought that's what I said (of course, with me, I have to use a lot more words to say stuff).

Strictly limited, preferred labels mostly negotiated at corporate (and with most distributor-available wines not making the cut), mostly unknown (and therefore not needful to be competitively priced), price a definite factor in availability, and catering pretty much to the lowest common denominator (the more you know about wine the less likely you are to be a repeat customer).

I did get the impression that some local leeway was allowed, but I may have been wrong, or it may have been limited to that location/buyer.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Hoke wrote:Based on what I've seen so far, the Vino 100 folks are friendly, but not that wine knowledgeable....

You hit the nail on the head, Hoke - I asked the person behind the counter where they leared what they know about wine and was told in response "From the distributer, mainly." My thought was: Oh Great!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Dave R wrote:
Hoke wrote:
If the franchisee/employee is content to work on slim pay and slim profit margins, and with the restrictions given, and is capable of keeping the atmosphere good...hey, it might work.

Their profit margins are sure not slim at the tasting bar! Same goes for the food items in the cooler. And they have a healthy markup on the bottles of wine they sell off the shelves. Especially if the parent company is able to pass along a volume discount. I'm not sure about the margins on the wine accessories and gifts though.

Well, maybe I could've phrased that a bit more precisely, Dave. They probably do make healthy margins off their private arrangement stuff. Back when I was doing that retail thing, I had a thriving business in such stuff (difference being I was a lot better at picking and choosing and hardnosing the deals), and I always made at least 15--45% more margin off it than I did from the generallya available brands. My point was more that, even with some stiff margins, I still don't think they make enough money, or long term will generate enough sales, to stay in business.

But hey: I've been wrong before.

(I'm not browbeating you, am I, Dave??? I don't want to do that. :wink: )
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Hoke wrote:Mark: But you say we have divergent opinions on what they sell? Why?

Mark wrote Interesting to hear your comments, Hoke and you take that to mean he thinks the two of you have divergent opinions? He was agreeing with you - gotta lower that epee! :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:

Mark wrote Interesting to hear your comments, Hoke and you take that to mean he thinks the two of you have divergent opinions? He was agreeing with you - gotta lower that epee!

Huh?
Mark Lipton wrote:I wonder just how tight the inventory control by the home office is, given our divergent perceptions of what they sell.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Keith M wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:

Mark wrote Interesting to hear your comments, Hoke and you take that to mean he thinks the two of you have divergent opinions? He was agreeing with you - gotta lower that epee!

Huh?
Mark Lipton wrote:I wonder just how tight the inventory control by the home office is, given our divergent perceptions of what they sell.

Oops, OK, I'll make you a deal, I'll delete my post and you delete yours!!! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Hoke wrote:
Dave R wrote:
Hoke wrote:

Well, maybe I could've phrased that a bit more precisely, Dave. They probably do make healthy margins off their private arrangement stuff. Back when I was doing that retail thing, I had a thriving business in such stuff (difference being I was a lot better at picking and choosing and hardnosing the deals), and I always made at least 15--45% more margin off it than I did from the generallya available brands. My point was more that, even with some stiff margins, I still don't think they make enough money, or long term will generate enough sales, to stay in business.

But hey: I've been wrong before.

(I'm not browbeating you, am I, Dave??? I don't want to do that. :wink: )

Thanks for the polite response. I wasn't really arguing with you but just pointing out my personal observation. Long term you may very well be right. Especially if their location is ever slightly less than ideal. Now about all of those cigars stores I falsely predicted would go out of business...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Keith M wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:

Huh?

I wonder just how tight the inventory control by the home office is, given our divergent perceptions of what they sell.

Oswaldo, Mark and I don't fence with each other. Look at the previous sentence. That's what puzzled me, and why I responded the way I did.

Divergent perceptions or divergent opinions----the key is divergent, is it not?

The cutlery and attitude I keep in reserve for others. But not Mark.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:16 pm

I wasn't really arguing with you but just pointing out my personal observation.

Oh, I knew that, Dave. Hopefully we can maintain the fine edge between discussing/exchanging and arguing. Usually, even when I'm...er, browbeating...I'm just discussing vigorously. I will always accept your personal observations respectfully.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 am

Hoke wrote:Mark:

Geez, guy, if you don't know Lison Pramaggiore, I don't know if we can let you in our Arrogant Knowledge of Everything Obscure Club anymore!!! :D

Hell, Hoke, after chatting with you ITB types I've already scratched myself from that list. I mean, I can't even discuss the relative merits of Vitovska vs. Ribolla or chat intelligently about the effects of different colored slates on the terroir of Riesling. :P

But you say we have divergent opinions on what they sell? Why? I thought that's what I said (of course, with me, I have to use a lot more words to say stuff).

Strictly limited, preferred labels mostly negotiated at corporate (and with most distributor-available wines not making the cut), mostly unknown (and therefore not needful to be competitively priced), price a definite factor in availability, and catering pretty much to the lowest common denominator (the more you know about wine the less likely you are to be a repeat customer).

OK. I can get down with that. Where I got mislead was where you wrote:
Based on what I've seen so far, the Vino 100 folks are friendly, but not that wine knowledgeable, and the inventory range was (again, for a wine geek) quickly exhausted and not terribly impressive, featuring mostly safe, sound, reliable wines with very modest prices. (emphasis mine)

Safe, sound and reliable sounded like you were talking about well-known brands, but in rereading your previous paragraphs it's clear that you meant something else. I hereby withdraw my use of the term "divergent."

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 am

Hoke wrote:
The cutlery and attitude I keep in reserve for others. But not Mark.

*smooch* yerself, big guy. I guess this means that I'm buying the next time we hit town :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Dave R wrote:Hi Jon,

I have quite a bit of experience with the one that is about 15 minutes from my office. Ours serves wine by the glass as well as beer. They also have a small cooler that contains snacks like cheese and dips. They do not have the facilities to prepare food so they encourage people to bring in their own food to enjoy with their wine and beer.

The staff are all very friendly. They have live music one night per week and schedule theme tasting nights. I probably would not drink 90% of the wines they sell, but they usually have one or two bottles open for tasting that I like and would purchase. The atmospere is very nice and they also have outdoor seating in the summer.

Not sure why I opened this thread...but this sounds quite a bit like the WineStyles near my house! :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Dave R wrote:Hi Jon,

Not sure why I opened this thread...but this sounds quite a bit like the WineStyles near my house! :shock:

Not as familiar with WineStyles, so I'll refrain from commenting on that specific chain. (See, Jo Ann, I can admit I don't know everything about everything.)

Base on what I do know, though, I'll comment that all of these stores are potentially worthwhile ideas for chain stores that focus on wine, but need to be carefully examined in each case. They all, I think, go back to the original idea begun in New York, where the concept was to keep the inventory limited, largely driven by 'discovery' brands (and hence brands that were still modestly priced), and to present them in a coherent style...that style being category by simple flavor profile, or what was in many cases called the "progressive" style (and the progressive wine list). Of course, what people failed to overlook with the success of the original store when it was "cloned" was that when you have one store, with one buyer---who happened to be a truly exceptional buyer who both knew his wines and knew his clientele---it's significantly different than having A) the same situation in radically different markets, or B) a significantly less talented buyer. And especially when that buyer's first priority is to make deals with large producers who can supply wine "types" at the lowest possible price.

Then you end up with a situation like, say, Trader Joe's. Now before I get pilloried, there are a lot of things I like about Trader Joe's, and lord knows I have availed myself of some bargains over the years...but does anyone who truly knows about good wine go regularly to TJs for their fine wines?

And does anyone truly believe that it's possible to have a really great $14 Barolo? Or a $9 Amarone della Valpolicella? C'mon, guys: corners have to be cut somewhere, and we know where the corners get cut.

So in these shops---which can provide a useful and worthwhile intro to wine for people who do not have the luxury of wide choices in some markets, or can't afford the exalted prices of established superbrands---you end up with vague generalizations of wines rather than the iconic wines that created the need for vague generalizations.

Or in other, more succinct words, Sturgeon's Law.
no avatar
User

Steve Anderson

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Highland, California

by Steve Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:04 pm

I am familiar with the Vino 100 store in Lake Arrowhead, which is up the hill from where I live. Perhaps there is some room for variance in the different franchises, since they offer a large selection of California wines here I know, such as Cakebread Cellars, Caymus Vineyards, David Bruce, Firestone Vineyards, Lapis Luna, Lucas & Lewellen, Mosby Vineyards, Opolo Vineyards, Santa Barbara Winery, Sunstone Vineyards, and Twomey Cellars, among others. They have daily wine tasting, and monthly get togethers with various wine makers from up north. A few months ago, for instance, we enjoyed meeting a young lady, Dawnielle Burich, who has started up "Bag End Cellars" in Santa Barbara County. We enjoyed her Viognier and Cote Rotie styled Syrah. The Lake Arrowhead Vino 100 has some seating outside, overlooking the lake, that is nice when the weather is warm. By the way, for those who like them, they also sell fine cigars.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I am familiar with the Vino 100 store in Lake Arrowhead, which is up the hill from where I live. Perhaps there is some room for variance in the different franchises, since they offer a large selection of California wines here I know, such as Cakebread Cellars, Caymus Vineyards, David Bruce, Firestone Vineyards, Lapis Luna, Lucas & Lewellen, Mosby Vineyards, Opolo Vineyards, Santa Barbara Winery, Sunstone Vineyards, and Twomey Cellars, among others. They have daily wine tasting, and monthly get togethers with various wine makers from up north. A few months ago, for instance, we enjoyed meeting a young lady, Dawnielle Burich, who has started up "Bag End Cellars" in Santa Barbara County. We enjoyed her Viognier and Cote Rotie styled Syrah. The Lake Arrowhead Vino 100 has some seating outside, overlooking the lake, that is nice when the weather is warm. By the way, for those who like them, they also sell fine cigars.

Sounds like a great store, Steve. Lucky man.

As I pointed out before, I'm not sure how much local variance is allowed, but I would think there would have to be some. I strongly suspect it depends on how good (how well informed and how eager) the individual manager for each store is.

I actually like the idea of this kind of store. It's just that often when it comes down to execution, the formulaic nature of a franchise design tends to militate against it. A good wine geek could sure overcome that though. And it sounds like that's what you've got.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

execution is important!

What is helping the local Wine Styles is the curious fact that the managing partner is a musician who plays jazz and light rock piano in a seeminly endless :lol: variety of local bands. So...there is music almost every night, as people who want to play come and enjoy themselves-and provide a great experience for those of us who are talent-free but still love listening to good music! Some of the jam sessions have been amazing!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach