The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Oh God! Yet ANOTHER CLOSURE POLL!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

How has your perception/acceptance of screwcap closures changed over the last five years?

NONE No change: Corks remain the only closure I will buy.
No votes
SOME Some change: I have considered and will consider alternative closures to cork.
9%
MODERATE Moderate Change: I am very interested in alternatives to cork and think the trend is positive.
25%
MAJOR Significant Change: I believe that cork should give way to almost all wines under other closures.
34%
TOTAL Total Change: I would be happy to see ALL wines bottled without natural cork closure
31%

Total votes : 32
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Oh God! Yet ANOTHER CLOSURE POLL!!!

by Hoke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Once again, we're all going back and forth about cork closure and alternative closures, with pretty much the usual suspects saying the usuall suspect things.

However, I wonder, if we got many people on this particular forum to consider this question: How has your own perception or acceptance of alternative closures changed over the last few years, if we wouldn't see pretty major shifts in how people thought about cork versus screwcap closures.

So let's say within the last five years: has your own perception or acceptance of alternative closures changed? None, a little, much, a lot, or Bueker (er, I mean, total).

Only one choice per player, please.

And as usual, thanks for playing in this totally unscientific poll.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Oh God! Yet ANOTHER CLOSURE POLL!!!

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Hoke-

Flawed Poll!

I don't see an option for:

I Am So Weary Of These Cork vs Screwcap Threads.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:38 pm

You left out (at least) one: no change, five years ago I thought all wines should be bottled with a closure other than cork. :roll:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm

This poll also assumes that 5 years ago EVERYONE thought buying a screwcap-closed bottle was unacceptable (so I can't vote either).

Why should the issue be so polarised? Some of us believe there's currently a place for both corks and screwcaps.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 pm

You left out my choice- it depends on the wine and how the bottles are handled. All closures have merits and demerits, and those don't line up universally so that you can say "A is better than B is better than C." And my experiences in the past 5 years have really brought that into focus for me.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 am

Ah, Hoke.......

Here you go making me (a) yet once again violate that New Year's resolution and (b) expose myself in public. Fair enough.

My attitudes have indeed taken a shift. Not all that long ago I would have said that even though I would continue to evaluate all wines with no bias because of their closure, I would not purchase a bottle of wine under screwcap for my personal pleasure.

Today, I'm comfortable with a good many of those wines (reds, whites and roses) that are under screwcap on the condition that they are meant for relatively early drinking (let's say 1 - 3 years from the vintage date). It's not that I like or prefer these closures but because many of the wines I enjoy are now closed that way.

I remain opposed to truly fine wines or those meant for long-term cellaring under screwcap, my opposition as is well known based not so much on reliability as on my personal aesthetic. Also still waiting for 20-30 year studies of wines under screwcaps such as those currently in use. Will I shift further in my opinion. I'm doubtful that I will but as is said, "making predictions is always difficult, especially when they deal with the future"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 am

What you need is a comprehensive study of screwcap wines that have actually been sourced through the retail channel. Winery library stuff will generally not show up one of the biggest flaws of screwcaps- the huge variation in seal for bottles that have actually been handled by the Transport and Stocking Monkeys.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:26 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:You left out (at least) one: no change, five years ago I thought all wines should be bottled with a closure other than cork. :roll:

What he said.

Ben Rotter wrote:This poll also assumes that 5 years ago EVERYONE thought buying a screwcap-closed bottle was unacceptable (so I can't vote either).

Why should the issue be so polarised? Some of us believe there's currently a place for both corks and screwcaps.

What he said to an extent, too.