The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 06 Woodenhead & 04 Pavelot "Dominode"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 06 Woodenhead & 04 Pavelot "Dominode"

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:34 pm

2006 Woodenhead Pinot Noir Morning Dew Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/2/2009)
Although this was a big ripe wine with a fairly full mouth feel, it did not wear me out. Pushes the limits but an interesting wine. Smells of plush ripe fruit with oak and slight dill. I get pleasant dill at the front and middle of the palate. Lots cherry fruit and a bit of spice. Overall nice balance. Medium acid and light tannin. (90-91 pts) (90 pts.)

2004 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (1/23/2009)
The aromatics took a little to but now they are strong out of the glass. Shows a touch of green but it works for me. With the food I didn’t notice any green. There is some toast and wet stone (not Cris). Early in the evening the fruit was subdued, balanced and seamless. With time the fruit got bigger but the wine kept awesome balance. With out the food the tannin seemed to dry the wine out a bit but maybe a little more time will sort that out. I should have bought much more. I was sad to see the price jump in later vintages. (92 pts.)
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 06 Woodenhead & 04 Pavelot "Dominode"

by Marc D » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

Jason Hagen wrote:2006 Woodenhead Pinot Noir Morning Dew Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/2/2009)
Although this was a big ripe wine with a fairly full mouth feel, it did not wear me out. Pushes the limits but an interesting wine. Smells of plush ripe fruit with oak and slight dill. I get pleasant dill at the front and middle of the palate. Lots cherry fruit and a bit of spice. Overall nice balance. Medium acid and light tannin. (90-91 pts) (90 pts.)

2004 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (1/23/2009)
The aromatics took a little to but now they are strong out of the glass. Shows a touch of green but it works for me. With the food I didn’t notice any green. There is some toast and wet stone (not Cris). Early in the evening the fruit was subdued, balanced and seamless. With time the fruit got bigger but the wine kept awesome balance. With out the food the tannin seemed to dry the wine out a bit but maybe a little more time will sort that out. I should have bought much more. I was sad to see the price jump in later vintages. (92 pts.)

Jason, the 2001 Pavelot Dominode is in a really nice place right now, I thought it was a great version of S-l-B. A few weeks ago winebid had the '01 for $40, which may be close to or less than the current release.

Is Woodenhead Morning Dew some kind of a Grateful Dead reference?
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: 06 Woodenhead & 04 Pavelot "Dominode"

by Jason Hagen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Marc D wrote:Is Woodenhead Morning Dew some kind of a Grateful Dead reference?

Unlike so many wine folks, I don't know much about the grateful dead, so I can't help there.

Morning Dew is owned by Burt Williams ... which is why I bought the wine.

J