The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Is Pacific Rim still Bonny Doon?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Is Pacific Rim still Bonny Doon?

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:22 am

Since Betsy will be away this weekend, we decided to have an early Valentine's Day last night. She likes to go to movies (I'd typically rather spend money on wine), so I planned a dinner and movie evening in White Plains. I let her choose movie, and then went to make reservations at a nearby restaurant (Blue). Oops, Sunday night it showed completely free on OpenTable for Monday, now no availability. It seems Sunday night they decided to close Mondays for foreseeable future. A quick scan of Chowhound led me to a reservation at Soma 107. Fusion food (we shared charred baby octopus, then she had scallops with parsnips and I had grilled tofu with soba- sauces on main courses pushed sweetness edge). I planned on a couple glasses, but list btg started out at $9 with nothing I wanted to drink, so I went for one of the least expensive bottles ($30).

This used to be a Bonny Doon brand, but I think Randall sold label- am I right? I used to think this dependable if not exciting. The 2006 Pacific Rim Dry Riesling was nowhere near dry for my palate, off-dry sweetness and fairly low in acidity. Tastes a bit like a flat Fresca™ , once it nestled deep in ice bucket for a while it was palatable at very cold temps. Citrus and a little herb. Not very long, but cold it showed more acidity and at least was sippable. Still, we left half a bottle. C+

I enjoyed "Slumdog Millionaire" (and being with Betsy) more than the meal or the wine.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: Is Pacific Rim still Bonny Doon?

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:45 am

You are correct, it has been sold, but I can't recall who purchased it.

I have tried this a couple of times, based mainly on reviews from years ago when Bonny Doon had it, and I have not been impressed.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmmmm

by TomHill » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:You are correct, it has been sold, but I can't recall who purchased it.
I have tried this a couple of times, based mainly on reviews from years ago when Bonny Doon had it, and I have not been impressed.

Hmmmmm......my recollection was, when Randall sold off, he sold the BigHouseRed & White labels and a few of those other funky labels, but that he kept the PacificRim and relocated it to a separate operation up in WashState. Could be wrong, though.

Despite Randall's passion for Riesling, the wine has never been a great example of what Randall is truly capable of. A decent/quaffable Riesling...but just that.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Hmmmmm

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24 pm

TomHill wrote:Hmmmmm......my recollection was, when Randall sold off, he sold the BigHouseRed & White labels and a few of those other funky labels, but that he kept the PacificRim and relocated it to a separate operation up in WashState. Could be wrong, though.

Despite Randall's passion for Riesling, the wine has never been a great example of what Randall is truly capable of. A decent/quaffable Riesling...but just that.

We opened Pacific Rim Chenin Blanc the other night, and it is most definitely still a Randall product - Bonny Doon on the front label, and a truly wacky takeoff of Finnegans Wake that nobody but Randall could have done on the back label. American appellation (fruit from non-contiguous states, I guess) and thus NV, but it was a pretty good drop, if not terribly varietally characteristic. Lots of pear, peach and mango going on, just off-dry but very crisply acidic.
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

Re: TN: Is Pacific Rim still Bonny Doon?

by Dick Bueker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Most of the bottles in the market palce are Pacific Rim only. There are still a few of the old bottles working their way through the system. The web site has no mention of Randall or Bonny Doon. One distributor i've talked to said that this happened early last year.