The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Morgon, J. Swan, A-O, Mencia, and an ESJ Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN:Morgon, J. Swan, A-O, Mencia, and an ESJ Question

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Wine-of-the-week: 2006 Jean Foillard Morgon Cotes de Py Blazing minerality-captivating Cru Beajolais with fantastic earthy minerality, plenty of delicious food friendly acidity and good ripe plum-bright cherry fruit. Felt I was sipping wine with iron nails in the glass (n a good way!) Fantastic. Prefect for roast chicken. 93 points+

2002 Joseph Swan CABERNET Russian River Valley. You've all heard the dreaded words "A pinot for a cab lover"? Well, this was a Cab for a Pinot lover! Not sure about cabernet typicite, but this had piercingly pure cherry fruit, plenty of acidity, and a lovely light to medium mouthfeel. Alcohol-12.9%. What was really interesing is how this wine changed in the glass literally from moment to moment. Delicious-and long gone from stocks, I fear. 91 points

2006 Chanconne Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Quite pleasant silky coastal Pinot. Lovely mouth feel. Very fine. 90 points+

2005 Alpha-Omega Chardonnay Napa Valley. In an odd phase this night-beautifully pure Chardonnay fruit with good acidity+the Napa Chardonnay steretypical richness. Maybe a little discombulated tonight, but the components are there.

2005 Peique Tinto Mencia Bierazo. My first taste of the Mencia grape. This is an odd one. Very smooth. Utterly dry. Definitely some plum fruit, but the earthyness dominates and there is a completely unique note here-meaty, but not like a Rhone. If I had to reach for a descriptor, this bitter/meaty note is almost like prosciutto. Very strange and interesting.

Also: A question-Vintages Berkeley had one bottle left of the 2007 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir "Porphyry." Recommended drinking window?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN:Morgon, J. Swan, A-O, Mencia, and an ESJ Question

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Also: A question-Vintages Berkeley had one bottle left of the 2007 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir "Porphyry." Recommended drinking window?

You can check notes here but I think the general consensus is 'Not Yet'.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Brian-
I haven't had that ESJ but my impression is "not yet" as well from what I have read here. IIRC, Jim Cowan posted on this not too long ago, so perhaps he or Steve will respond.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2002 Joseph Swan CABERNET Russian River Valley. You've all heard the dreaded words "A pinot for a cab lover"? Well, this was a Cab for a Pinot lover! Not sure about cabernet typicite, but this had piercingly pure cherry fruit, plenty of acidity, and a lovely light to medium mouthfeel. Alcohol-12.9%. What was really interesing is how this wine changed in the glass literally from moment to moment. Delicious-and long gone from stocks, I fear. 91 points

Get to know Rod Berglund if you don't know him already. He's great about popping things free for people who really 'get' his wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Get to know Rod Berglund if you don't know him already. He's great about popping things free for people who really 'get' his wines.

Yeah and the great thing about U.S. producers like Swan is they do keep library wines. Rod brought I couple of 68s down to a recent tasting here .... I skipped the tasting :cry:

Jason
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Good to hear about the Foillard!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Good to hear about the Foillard!

For less than $30 USD? It is definitely a wow wine!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

Darn, I only see 07s for sale in NY and I got the impression, from my recent round, that they benefit tremendously from a little extra time in the bottle... I don't want to wait a year! :wink:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:

Darn, I only see 07s for sale in NY and I got the impression, from my recent round, that they benefit tremendously from a little extra time in the bottle... I don't want to wait a year! :wink:

2007 is a pretty light year, though? This might be one year in which early drinking is not a bad thing. The 2007 "regular" Morgon bottling I tried at Terroir Wine Bar was already pretty nice.

Still...a year may not hurt it, so....

I have one bottle of 2005 Lapierre Morgon to try also. Hmmmm. Maybe tonight!