The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 RIVERS MARIE CAB & 2005 SWITCHBACK RIDGE - Blind

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2006 RIVERS MARIE CAB & 2005 SWITCHBACK RIDGE - Blind

by Jason Hagen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

These wines were poured blind and tasted over 3 days.

Wine #1
The aromatics never woke up on this. Nice level of ripeness. Not too heavy but heavy all the same. Some bell pepper showing. The wine does seem heavy handed. Alcohol popping solidly through. Nice herbal and bell pepper elements. Cuts through better than the other wine while still being more silky. Long finish. Less fatiguing. By day two it showed less oak and alcohol. Acid is there but structure seems to be lacking. Tannin is light or buried under oak. Wait 1-2 years before revisiting this wine. (88 pts.)2006 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley

Wine #2
Interesting. Aromatics show lighter ripeness. Spice, oak, cream, a little bit of leather and bell pepper. More going on aromatically. Maybe a little too much going on. Thick like a fur ball. Smelling milk chocolate and prunes. On the palate this is very different. Lots of oak and very full bodied. At first this wine showed better balance. Mouth-feel is powdery and coating. Somewhat sweet. Light acid. Getting very fatiguing. Intense but not great. Finish is very sloppy. Second day it was starting to go off. sweeter and waterier. Much richer than the other wine but not flavors I would look for. This is in the enjoyable but “hard to finish” category. Pour me one glass I would be happy. Try to give me two or serve food with it and I would think someone was playing a joke on me. (85 pts.)2005 Switchback Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Peterson Family Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley

Cheers,

Jason