The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN/BTN: Weird Chilean and a Harviestoun Special

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN/BTN: Weird Chilean and a Harviestoun Special

by Saina » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Anakena Ona Viognier Riesling Chardonnay 2008 13,5% abv

A strange mix of grapes that smells of Sauvignon Blanc! More full bodied than Sauvignon Blanc generally is but still seems like it. Why? Yeast?

Harviestoun Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 8% abv

Harviestoun make the legendary Old Engine Oil, which is a dark, sweet but well hopped Stout-like brew. This is a similar beer except 2%abv stronger, more hoppy and aged in oak that had been used for the 12yo Highland Park Whiskey. Roger Protz has an interesting article here about oak-aged beers. I tried the Innis & Gunn and found it spoofy and "Parkerized" (if these words can be used with beers), but this Harviestoun was of the excellent quality I am used to seeing from the Old Engine Oil.

It smells of sea weed just like the Whiskey does, but it is a salty and sweet Stout underneath. It is big and full bodied, sweet but has great cut from the hops. I don't get at all as much oak aromas as Protz's note would suggest - and I am very thankful for that! A very interesting beer and though a weighty one, refreshing enough that I could finish a 330ml bottle on my own. (Too often I find that heavier, sweeter, winter warmer beers come in too big bottles, but this was ok.)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.