The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Carina Syrah WesterlyVnyd '03..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Carina Syrah WesterlyVnyd '03..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Had this last night w/ my meatballs:
1. CarinaCllrs WesterelyVnyd Syrah (14.8%; http://www.CarinaCellars.com) 2003: Black color; intense blackberry/blueberry/green olive light toasty/oak slight peppery/pungent/NorthernRhone slight volatile lovely nose; soft bit tannic/hard very strong licorice/blackberry/blueberry/green olive light toasty/oak slight Rhonish flavor; very long bit tannic/hard very strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/licorice slight pungent/Rhonish/toasty/oak finish; still needs a yr or two and should go out another 5-7 yrs; a lovely classic SantaBarbara Syrah; steal at $23.00
Joey makes wine under his own label as well. Some of the best Syrahs around that I've followed from the very start. I first heard about Joey many a moon ago from MargauxSingleton (EnotecaWineShop/Calistoga) who was travelling thru the SantaBarbara area. She made a visit to FessParkerWnry and was squired around the place by one JoeyTensley. She gave me a head's up that this was a guy who was going to be making his own wines and a guy I should keep my eyes on. So Margaux really followed Joey from the very start.
WesterlyVnyd is located in the HappyCanyon area of the SantaYnezVlly, in the far eastern end. Generally one of the warmer areas of the SYVlly. Yet this wine showed a lot of cool-climate character to my palate, such as it is.
Tom