The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1983 Hutcheson Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

WTN: 1983 Hutcheson Port

by Jon Peterson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:24 pm

As my son was about to return to college for his last semester this past weekend, I decided to open a 1983 Hutcheson port that I bought at about the time of his birth (in 1987). We had it with a number of blue cheeses. The bottle has been on the floor of my cellar and moved only once. I had set the bottle up on end about a week before. The cork was long and clean but near falling apart so I recommend you not use a traditional screw but perhaps an Ah So-type cork remover. I decanted and found the wine to be a crystal clear with a light ruby color all the way to the edges. There was very little sediment even at the bottom of the bottle. In the glass, the wine had a great smell of fruit with dark berries very evident. On the palate it is a mouth-filling, rich wine that is very nicely balanced with a sweet and long-lasting finish. I’ll be sorry when it’s finished, probably tonight.

Later; Interesting to note that while the first glass was a light ruby that I could have read a paper through, the last glass was dark as ink but still maintained a bright taste.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 1983 Hutcheson Port

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Nice but no knowledge of this house.
You should think of posting this note on http://www.fortheloveofport.com.