The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases and a '91 Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

WTN: 1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases and a '91 Port

by Ruth B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Opened 1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases Clos du Marquis for a friend's birthday dinner Saturday
Lovely cedar right away, followed by a hint of summer flowers and a backnote of berries. This wine was simply lovely -- lots of life left, but very elegant and balanced.
Since it is still available in our area, I think think I'll grab a couple more--nice match for the leg of lamb.

Pulled the cork on 1991 Graham's Vintage Port for dessert, and while fruit is still well in evidence (mostly plums to me) there is not a lot of structure left in this wine. It was very enjoyable, but I don't get the impression it could go for much longer.

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: WTN: 1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases and a '91 Port

by Dave R » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Ruth B wrote:
Pulled the cork on 1991 Graham's Vintage Port for dessert, and while fruit is still well in evidence (mostly plums to me) there is not a lot of structure left in this wine. It was very enjoyable, but I don't get the impression it could go for much longer.

Ruth

Was that a true Vintage Graham's or a Late Bottled Vintage Graham's?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

Re: WTN: 1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases and a '91 Port

by Ruth B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Dave R wrote:Was that a true Vintage Graham's or a Late Bottled Vintage Graham's?

It was 1991 Graham's Vintage Port. Note that not all port houses declared in 1991. This wine generally gets good ratings and it was quite nice and certainly the fruit appears as if it will hold, but the wine is very soft and there was very little structure which makes me wonder about the longevity. I would be interested in hearing from other folks who have tried this wine recently to get their opinions.
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada